Publishing to Word Doc doesn't work in Storyline 360

Aug 15, 2017

I am unable to publish my Storyline 360 presentation to Word. When I select the option in the publish settings, it takes all of 2 seconds and tells me it is done, but when I look at what was published there is nothing in the folder. I am able to publish to LMS and web just fine.

120 Replies
Steven Teng

Hello all, 

I am using Articulate360 and got the latest update for all applications, However, I still have this issue - unable to publish to WORD for a specific file. 

My storyline version: see the attachment

I also tried the solution provided by Alyssa Gomez but failed unfortunately. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Yolanda,

I appreciate you reaching out to share that you're running into an issue with a single file.

If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I recommend importing the file into a new one and proceeding.

If you're still running into an issue, please share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening with your permission. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jay,

I'm glad to hear that the solution worked for you as well.

File corruption is unpredictable, and there's no straightforward way to determine what causes it. Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting). Consider using the preventative measures described in this article to protect your project files.

Teresa Vanderpost

Just wanted to let you know I have a Storyline file from 2019 an I had to give a SME a Word version today and it would only publish the first slide.  I followed your instructions and I opened a new storyline file and imported, but then I still had to rebuild the Glossary and add all the Resources back in as they did not import over.  It took so much extra time, but it did work.  The old file itself works fine publishes to LMS and to Review just won't publish to Word.  Very time consuming if I will ever have to do this with older versions of my storyline files. 

Luke Stollings

For our longstanding review process people insist on Word documents that they can do track changes and comments in.  A screenshot of the slide while nice, doesn't cut it for spell check or the like.

Poking around, we discovered that the closest thing to an editable document coming out of Storyline is the Translation document: File menu/Translation/Export to Word.  It's very ugly if you just want a nice clean version of the text but it's the best we could find.

So I built this macro... not sure if it'll come over since macros look a lot like viruses but we'll give it a try.  The purpose is to take that Translation document with all its columns and lists of every state of every variable and simplify it down to just the slide screenshot and the text. I'm kind of proud of it if anyone wants to try.

And would LOVE to have articulate come up with a solution that completely renders this obsolete.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing that you're experiencing an issue as well.

There are a lot of conversations happening here, so I'd like to confirm what you see since you mention Storyline and Parallels.

• Are you getting an error when publishing to Word?
  • Do you have Word installed in your Parallels/Windows environment?
Jose Tansengco

Hello Elizabeth, 

If you're encountering the behavior on just some of your project files, then the issue could be file specific rather than something related to Microsoft Office. We recommend reaching out to our support team by opening a case and sharing the affected files there so we can take a look at what's preventing a Word document from being created when those are published. We'll delete them when we're done troubleshooting!