Slide Timer

Oct 29, 2022

Hi everyone,

I am working on a driver education project. I want to add timer (mm:ss format) on each slide. Timing of each slide is different. Is it possible to achieve that.

11 Replies
OWEN HOLT

Is the timer supposed to count down or show elapsed time on the slide? Either way, this is possible with either JavaScript or using an off-slide object with a 1 second motion path and some variables. There are lots of threads in the community on timers. Here is one example: How To Build A Custom Countdown Timer in Storyline 3 or 360 - Articulate Storyline Discussions - E-Learning Heroes

Noorain Khan

Hi  Owen,

Thank you so much for your help. I've followed the instructions in the video and it seems to work. However, the only problem is that when a slide layer is displayed, timer stops. And i have so many layers in the course.  Is there a way around that?

Really appreciate your help.

OWEN HOLT

I'm a bit lost on exactly what it is you are trying to do. Are you trying to advance the slide automatically after a specific time? What is the importance of the timer/how will it be used or impact your learner?  What have you tried so far and where is it not working? Again, is this elapsed time (time spent) on each slide or a countdown to 0?

Sharing a .story file with specifics that we can trouble shoot for you is a great way to get specific help on resolving an issue and providing clarity of the problem.

Noorain Khan

Hi owen,

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

My client needs a countdown timer on each slide. It would be great if there was a timer with seekbar.

I followed the link shared by you the other day. Followed instructions shown in the video by Mark Spermon and it worked. Thanks to you both.

Here I am sharing a sample .story file for you,  hope there is a way around!

OWEN HOLT

I used a slightly different approach than Mark's to achieve what you are looking for. Specifically, I used on "off the slide 1 second object animation" that works off the same concept as the 1 second slide layer timeline. I put this on the master slide along with some standard triggers that go with it. The triggers handle how often the animation repeats and handles things like an even start time in minutes as well as when to subtract a value from minutes as well as from seconds, etc. Spend some time reviewing these and ask if you need any clarification.

On the slides, there are some other important triggers. On each slide, you can customize the time for the slide by adjusting the "Set Time_S (Seconds) and "Set Time_M (Minutes) variables. Be sure to change the values as needed.

The total time variable that I use elsewhere will auto calculate based on the other values; do not change these.

The variable triggers are the same you had before and handle the state changes to manage the display for single digit numbers. 

I also simplified your variables to use 1 global variable for minutes and 1 for seconds. Because this is a standard variable, and because the animation that adjusts it is on the slide master, the adjustments will continue on the main slide even while a light box slide is displayed.  

See attached and reach out with any questions.

Noorain Khan

Thank you so much for your help.

I've created the course. It was working great until I preview the whole course, value from minute variable (Time M) is not subtracting on 2nd slide,3rd slide....and so on.

I have attached the .story file. Hope you got something.