Forum Discussion

DarbyRalls
Community Member
21 days ago

Vector graphics resize when slides are copied and pasted.

Our course workflow is for a course developer to do the initial design for their slides, then they hand their slides off to a graphic designer to do the final layout and design.  We planned to hand off the slides a module at a time, but when we copy some slides from one project to another the .svg graphics sometimes resize to 100% of original size.  We haven't seen this problem with .png graphics, but we want to use .svg because they look so much better when full-screen.

The module project and master project started from the same project template slides, so there shouldn't be a settings mismatch.  We've come up with workarounds including creating full-screen graphics, which is a pain, or always making sure our .svg graphics are 100% size, which is also a pain.  We re-use our .svg icons all the time, and I would prefer to use the same .svg source graphics instead of having multiple versions of them floating around.

Does anyone know why the .svg graphics resize to 100%?  Is it a bug?  Is it a problem with our process?

In the attached Storyline projects I copied slides 1.2 and 1.9 from the copy.story file and pasted them into the paste.story file.  They landed at slides 1.3 and 1.4.  You can see the resulting graphic size changes.

Thanks,

--Darby

• For anyone interested, we tracked the problem down to Microsoft Teams.  Because files in Teams are downloaded to your computer before they'll open, I assumed that avoided the Storyline network drive issue.  Apparently, Teams causes enough latency to mess up the .svg copy process. Our workaround will be to work from a local copy of project files, then manually copy them to Teams at the end of the day.  It's unfortunate, but at least we came up with a workaround.

Thanks to Ian at Articulate Support for helping us track that down.

--Darby

DarbyRalls
    Community Member

For anyone interested, we tracked the problem down to Microsoft Teams.  Because files in Teams are downloaded to your computer before they'll open, I assumed that avoided the Storyline network drive issue.  Apparently, Teams causes enough latency to mess up the .svg copy process. Our workaround will be to work from a local copy of project files, then manually copy them to Teams at the end of the day.  It's unfortunate, but at least we came up with a workaround.

Thanks to Ian at Articulate Support for helping us track that down.

--Darby

Ange
      Community Member

Hi Darby, great that you found a workable solution. 
      I don't use Microsoft Teams in this process, but I still have reconfigure/recode .svgs to make the copy/paste or import work for correct size. I will check to see if other programs I use are creating the issue.

Thanks for the info!

KellyAuner
      Staff

H DarbyRalls,

Thanks for updating this community discussion! I'm glad to hear my teammate, Ian, was able to assist you.

Ange
    Community Member

Hi Darby,

I could be wrong but I don't think it's bug, I think it is just not a feature due to .svg complexity. Pngs are not a problem because they're sized in pixels, whereas .svgs are vector-based, they use mathematical algorithms to display images. btw: Are your courses responsive?

Are you familiar with svg coding? If yes, what I have done in the past to address the re-scale issue when copying a slide or importing one to a new SL file is: I open the svg in a code editor and adjust the viewBox size... and/or the image attributes. I import the svg into Articulate, and I can resize if need be on the slide. When I copy or import the slide into a different project it remains exactly the same size and position as is seen on the original slide. Alternatively, the graphic designer may be able to address this their end before they save as_____svg. I haven't used Adobe Illustrator for a while so I am not up to date on the latest.

DarbyRalls
      Community Member

Thanks, Ange.  I'll look into svg coding.  I appreciate your reply.

--Darby