Storyline 360 project won't publish

Mar 08, 2018

All of a sudden I'm getting multiple crashes when trying to publish. Getting the error that something went wrong, Storyline may not continue, what was I doing at the time of crash, etc.

I tried exiting SL and restaring.  Tried creating a new project and importing the old into it.  Nothing works.

Hours of work went into this and I have to demo it tomorrow.

What's going on?  BTW - I installed the latest updates this afternoon.  Before this I had no problems.

52 Replies
Tania Thomas

Hi Wendy, I was getting the error pop-up to send a report to Articulate. I had to change the automatic/default publishing setting back to my C:/ drive - and will have to do this manually each time as per above comments is that the case? Weird it has worked for 6 months without changing the default. Thank you

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Pradeepta,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you're running into some crashing issues.

Curious if the issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?

If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I would advise to import the file into a new one and proceed.

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Margaret Werdermann

Thanks, everyone for sharing!  This thread helped me figure out my problem. 

When I tried the "start a new project and import slides from the old one" fix, I discovered that there was a whole question bank in the old one that didn't show up in the Story View.  (My guess is that it was left in there when the course was created from an old course; and didn't show up in Story view anymore because the Quiz Bank and Results pages were deleted from the Slide view.) 

Anyway, I was able to import all the slides I wanted into the new course; and it published perfectly.  Hope this helps someone else.

Hilary Gray

Hi there, I'm on Storyline 360 and I also cannot publish one of my files to Review 360. I've tried everything on this list, including uninstalling and reinstalling Storyline and trying to isolate the offending file, but I can't. I've attached it here if someone could please check it for me?

Greg Thompson

Thanks,  but the first set of instructions didn't solve the problem.  I'm hoping they'll come up with a different solution.  Here there are:  

1) Uninstall Storyline 3 and open Windows Explorer, type %temp%\Articulate\Storyline in the address field, and press Enter.

2) When your temp directory opens, press Ctrl+A to select all the temp files, then press the Delete key on your keyboard.

3) A few temp files may currently be in use that can't be deleted. When prompted, you can skip those.

4) Reboot and reinstall Storyline 3.

I did this multiple times, but it still does not publish.  The files are fine.  I was able to publish all of them in 360, buy my Storyline 3 doesn't publish still.  Thanks for your concern.  Greg

Ren Gomez

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the heads up, and I'm sorry you're still running into this error! I see my teammate, Bang, has reached out with next steps to continue troubleshooting the cause.

Keep at it with him, and let him know if you're unable to share an app list to see if there are conflicts with Storyline 3. Thanks!

Linda Vadura

Hello. I can't publish to Articulate Review 360. It worked three time today and over the past few day. Now I have to shoe the finished product to my boss and the file uploads to Review then just sits there with the wheel of death turning and turning....  I tried different browsers too. It is a large file and it will take a long time to go through and find out if it is a slide or something else. Suggestions?

Greg Thompson

Hi Ren,  My publishing issue has been fixed.  Apparently when I didn't accept the change to my computer while publishing, it triggered my Ransomware to block it every time I publish it.  With the help of Articulate staff, the problem was solved simply be allowing the Ransomware to accept the Articulate site.  Thanks.  

Nathan Leavitt

Hi folks, on 8/14/2020 I just updated to v3.42.22792.0. I am unable to publish a template that has widespread use throughout our organization. After 1/2 hour of testing I was able to isolate a single problematic URL on a single slide, which I have attached to this message. 

I'm interested to hear if you have the same experience as I'm having. If I publish the project as it is, it fails. If I remove the URL, it works.

Is that your experience? Do you have any idea why it's behaving like this?

At this point, I won't be able to recommend this upgrade to my organization because I can't have 250+ Storyline users emailing me and asking why they can no longer publish their older/existing projects.

Ren Gomez

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for sharing your file! I opened it and kept running into an error publishing with our without the hyperlink.

I then imported the file into a blank project as I suspected some corruption issues, but didn't see a difference in the behavior.

Finally, I went ahead and completely removed the textbox and related triggers, re-inserted a new textbox, added the hyperlink, and published successfully!

Let me know if you're able to move ahead with recreating the hyperlink and triggers!

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Bhagwan, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thank you for reaching out and sharing that you're experiencing an issue when publishing your project.

I'm curious if the issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?

• If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I would advise you to import the file into a new one and proceed.
  • If it's happening in any/all files, you should conduct a repair of your software.