Storyline 360 project won't publish

Mar 08, 2018

All of a sudden I'm getting multiple crashes when trying to publish. Getting the error that something went wrong, Storyline may not continue, what was I doing at the time of crash, etc.

I tried exiting SL and restaring.  Tried creating a new project and importing the old into it.  Nothing works.

Hours of work went into this and I have to demo it tomorrow.

What's going on?  BTW - I installed the latest updates this afternoon.  Before this I had no problems.

52 Replies
ray laurencelle

After trial and error - eliminating slides until there was no crash and then looking for objects in the slide that caused the crash - I was able to isolate the offending object.   I made a custom radio button for a freeform question by grouping two circles.  Later I tried to turn them into check boxes by changing the shape to a rectangle and adding a check mark.  Storyline didn't like that and crashed when publishing.    It's beyond me why an object or a font can cause a crash when publishing but there it is.  Anyway, problem fixed by building the check boxes from scratch.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Ray,

Sorry to hear this gave you such a tough time, but glad you found and corrected the culprit and I appreciate you sharing the details with the community.

You mentioned that you changed the style from the radio button to check box. Were you able to recreate the same issue with the custom radio button? If so, we could certainly take a look if you'd like.

Wendy Farmer

There is something stopping the publish process, it could be an object, font type, audio file - hard to tell really...if you look at how far the publish process gets you might be able to guesstimate where the issue lies...

In my experience 90% of the time it is a corrupt result slide where I have used a content library template but without seeing your file or knowing anything about your setup it's hard to say.

For other users I have helped this is the method we use - import 6-10 slides at a time into a new file and publish. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi L B!

Sorry this file is giving you headaches. We're happy to help you sort this out!

Could you share your file with us here, and include which section is causing you trouble? We may be able to narrow it down to a single slide within that section. 

And to your last question, I wouldn't expect a file to become corrupt after importing it into a new Storyline file, but we'll have a better idea of what's going on once we take a closer look at it.

Basudha  Das

I am getting an error in Articulate 360, while publishing.

Have tried almost all the solution given:

• Save the file in a  different location and publish
  • Save the file with a smaller name and publish
  • change the name in web tab and then publish in Articulate 360.

nothing work!!... I have a client delivery today. what do I do now???

My story file is too heavy it has a lot of video and audio in all slides, with 45 slides, questions slides and heavy graphics.  Is that the reason?? 

Noelle T

I'm having the same problem with a fairly large and media content heavy module. It published and worked fine months ago but just today I had to make a tiny change (swap out a graphic) and it will not publish. I tried going back to publish the original one that has been working before, but that wont' publish either. I downloaded the new update this week and now I'm worried that is problem. 

I have tried deleting sections and publishing but the results aren't consistent. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Noelle,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you were running into a similar issue with your project.

Curious if the issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?

If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I would advise to import the file into a new one and proceed.

If it's happening in any/all files, you should certainly conduct a repair of your software.

If you'd like and with your permission, I'd be happy to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Ren Gomez

Hi Diana,

Thanks for sharing those details, and great call to open a case! I see my teammate, Robert, has emailed you with some next steps.

Let us know if you have any questions. We can appreciate confidentiality and are happy to sign an NDA if that works for you so that you may share your file. Otherwise, keep at it with Robert to find the culprit!