Storyline 360 - Score First Attempt but Allow for Unlimited Tries

Apr 28, 2023

First, We use SCORM (2004, ed. 4) to import Storyline 360 courses. Our use case is that we would like the learner to take the quiz and have only the first attempt be scored, but allow unlimited attempts so that they can practice and learn. The reason we only want the first attempt scored is that we want to evaluate how they did initially and also evaluate how well our questions are being formed.   

What we see in our LMS is that with the questions set to unlimited, it seems that it is only recording the first attempt in the answers field (i.e. A when the answer is B) and that is good; however, in the results filed it has correct even though the answer was obviously wrong. Presumably, that is because the learner eventually gets it right and it records that for the result. 

Is there a way to have SL only report the first result as well as the first answer that was attempted for unlimited tries? If not, doe somebody, have a workaround?

Thanks

5 Replies
Walt Hamilton
I don't see it as a work around. To me, it is good design practice to extend the built-in activities to match your needs.

I would duplicate the quiz. I would set the first one to 1 attempt, and report that quiz.  Then I would send them to the second quiz set to unlimited attempts, but not include those results in a result slide.
There may be more difficult, or more glamorous ways to do this, but I subscribe to the theory that the simplest ways are best.
Steven Benassi

Hi Mark!

I see that you've been receiving some feedback already but I just wanted to pop in and offer some more support!

If you allow users to have multiple attempts at a question until they get it correct, Storyline will only use the final answer to report to the results slide. You may want to consider limiting the attempts, but then providing either customized feedback on the correct/incorrect layers or allowing the user to retry the quiz from the results slide.

You could also include customized feedback during a quiz review so that they could see what they answered in addition to a further explanation of why it was correct/incorrect.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Mark Henderson

Thanks, Steven.

Only using the final result for multiple attempts makes sense; however, I believe what I saw in my testing in our LMS was that it actually recorded the first attempt in the answers field but the final attempt in the results field, which is causing an issue. 

Interestingly, I really want only the first attempt recorded even though they can retake it as many times as they want. 

Example 

• Question type: freeform pick many (4 images labeled A, B,C,D respectively )
  • Unlimited attempts
  • Correct answer = A, B, C, D (must choose all to be correct). Form view has all 4 selected for the correct answer
  • Test learner
    • First attempt answer =  A, D (immediate retry triggered and retry layer presented when they got it wrong). The second attempt was the correct answer below.
    • Second attempt answer =  A, B C, D 

Results in LMS

• Answers field = A, D
  • Results field = Correct

It appears that the first attempt was recorded for the answer but the second attempt was recorded for the results field.  If only the final attempt was recorded for multiple attempts, I would expect the answer field to have A, B, C, D since that was the final attempt and the correct answer.   That is where I am thrown off.  Perhaps something isn't set the way I think it is. 

Steven Benassi

Hi Mark!

Thanks for sharing the feedback on the type of functionality you'd like to see with quiz results being sent to your LMS!

Testing your course in SCORM Cloud would be helpful in narrowing down the issue with the results you're seeing on the LMS side. If you're willing to share your project file here in the discussion, we'd be happy to troubleshoot it on your behalf and report our findings!

Or if you'd rather do the troubleshooting yourself, this article provides a walkthrough for that:

If you find that your course is working in SCORM Cloud the way you intend it to, then I would suggest reaching out to your LMS administrator with questions!

Looking forward to hearing from you!