Storyline360 Published in LMS and on one slide all learners are getting an offline error message

Jan 20, 2023

I have published multiple modules exactly like this one with now issues. And the weird thing is EVERYONE is getting the message... just on the one slide. They hit next and it gives them the attached error message with the spinning wheel of death. I can assure you they are not offline. 

I looked at the backend and I do not see anything different than any other slide in that module and I have never had it happen again or since. 

Of course I will try to republish and upload (see if that fixes it) and I will try to recreate the whole module if that fails. 

But I really want to know if anyone else has had this issue, how did they solve it, and if Articulate has heard of this issue. I combed through the discussion boards and could not find this specific issue. Thank you!

5 Replies
Kelly Auner

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for reaching out!

What version of Storyline are you using? Projects published with Storyline 360 Version 3.69.28997.0, or later, will automatically include this lost connectivity alert, which notifies learners when they lose their internet connection or when an LMS statement fails to record.

It is strange that everyone is experiencing this issue on one specific slide. What browser(s) are they using? If you're willing to share the file with us, I'd be happy to test it out on my end. You can upload it here or share it privately in a support case. We'll delete it from our systems once troubleshooting is complete!

Michele Arrieta

Hi, I actually experienced the same thing with a publish my coworker generated. They uploaded the file onto our server and shared a web preview link with our client. The client flagged the issue first so I tested the link on my computer and saw the same thing. I'm using Chrome Version 109.0.5414.119 - I'm asking my coworker what version of Storyline she's on. 

I was able to republish the link from the same file she generated the buggy link from and didn't have any issues afterwards. My thought was maybe all the files didn't finish uploading onto our server or maybe it's an Articulate Storyline version issue?

Jose Tansengco

Hello Michele, 

Sorry to hear that you encountered this issue. 

If republishing your course fixed the behavior, then the incident may have been isolated. Try to observe if you encounter the behavior again, and if you do, make sure that you are publishing using the latest version of Storyline 360.

If the issue persists, would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!

Pamela Roeper

Yes, I got it fixed by copy and pasting into a new Storyline shell AND reencoding/publishing the file (not sure which specifically did the trick but it got fixed) So, it was not the LMS (this time).

I was talking with the Articulate tech support (who really thought it was a browser issue), and they were completely unaware of an update made to Storyline November 7, 2022, that does notify learners when they lose their internet connection. That is exactly what my error looked like. Whatever was happening it definitely was a file issue within Storyline after that new update. But it is intermittent, and it may not happen again. However, if more people are having issues that update is where you need to trace this to.