Update: Articulate 360 will discontinue support for Internet Explorer 11

Nov 01, 2021

Starting in January 2022, we will remove support for the Internet Explorer 11 browser (IE11) from all Articulate 360 web apps, Articulate.com, and E-Learning Heroes.

Why we’re making this change

Microsoft stopped supporting IE11 in its Microsoft 365 apps as of August 17, 2021, and will also stop supporting IE11 on Windows 10 on June 15, 2022.

Who this impacts

This change impacts folks using IE11 with Articulate 360 or Storyline 3 or visiting Articulate.com and the E-Learning Heroes community. Here’s what you need to know:

Beginning January 1, 2022, you won’t be able to:

• View Articulate.com or the E-Learning Heroes community using IE11
  • Use Articulate 360 Training or Review 360 or view 360.articulate.com using IE11

Beginning July 1, 2022, you won’t be able to: 

• View courses published from Storyline 360, Studio 360, or Rise 360 in IE11
  • Publish to CD from Storyline 360 or Studio 360 (this feature uses IE11 to publish content) 

Beginning October 1, 2022, you won’t be able to: 

• View courses published from Storyline 3 in IE11
  • Publish to CD from Storyline 3 (this feature uses IE11 to publish content) 

What to do if you use Internet Explorer 11

Depending on your operating system, we recommend downloading the latest version of a browser like Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox.

Learn more at our support knowledge base.

Edited to add: We'd like to address a common question! Courses published prior to July 1, 2022 will continue to work in IE11. These changes will only apply to courses published after July 1, 2022.

We're sorry our language was unclear!

35 Replies
Barry Greene

The article states "Beginning July 1, 2022, you won’t be able to: Publish to CD from Storyline 360 or Studio 360 (this feature uses IE11 to publish content)".  

Our organization uses the publish to CD from Storyline 360 for peer reviews, piloting of courses, and also as a backup to our LMS when it is giving us problems.

Will there be an alternative provided?

Nathan Leavitt

Hi Articulate, regarding July 1, 2022 and the viewing of courses published from Storyline 360, Studio 360, or Rise 360 in IE11, my assumption is that this will be true of all NEW material published from Storyline/Studio/Rise after July 1, 2022.

Stated differently, my assumption is that all content published from Storyline/Studio/Rise BEFORE July 1, 2022 will continue to work in IE 11.

Are these assumptions accurate?

Barry Greene

Hi Nathan,

We have used Review 360 in the past: 

it did a decent job for reviews and piloting but not great (we had issues with it wanting to always resume at the beginning) and there was another issue or two that I can't remember right now.

As a LMS workaround it does not work for us, i.e.:
• We have 100 plus students with dedicated training weeks in a regulated training environment 
• We have 6 instructors but I am the only one capable of assigning a course in Review 360
• I am not always available during the students training week when issues may occur with LMS

Thanks,

Stacey Edwards

Following with the same question as Barry. We use publish to CD version in our remote communities for people without a strong internet/no internet connections. For our RISE courses we use the publish to web feature and I just checked the publish to web version on Storyline and it seems to work without internet so I will look to go down that path from now on.

Elne Van Niekerk

Same situation as Stacey Edwards. We need to be able to send offline versions to our remote students and publish to CD has been a go-to. Publish to web is a work-around, but I am wondering if Articulate could help us in that regard to just have a better packaging? Sending a zip file is unfortunately not ideal... 

Lauren Connelly

Hi all!

Thanks for following up with great questions! This change will only impact courses published after that date - July 1, 2022 for Storyline 360, Studio, 360, and Rise 360 published content and October 1, 2022 for Storyline 3 published content. For reviewing Articulate 360 content, Review 360 is the best solution. If there is something missing in Review 360, don't hesitate to let us know. Lastly, you can still view projects published to web offline but you'll want to make sure they don't include web objects or other content you need to be online to view.

We are here to answer any questions you have to make sure everyone is fully prepared for this change! 

Nadia Siddiqui

I agree with Ralph. Stacey,Lisa and Elne. We need a way other then the learner having to download. Unzip and click index.html to open a file from SharePoint.  The CD option was great for offline candidates... there must be a way about it,? Also the MS sharepoint dosent support the Web published one ....I am sure with all the creative features the Articulate engineers keep building there must be someway to resolve this. Thinking hats on!

Barry Greene

Review 360 while great for reviewing or piloting a course for a few people is just not practical as a backup when our LMS is having issues.  We have over 100 personnel with 6 instructors in a regulated training environment and I am the only one who can assign a course in Review 360 and I am not always available to do those assignments.  We use MS Share-point with a publish to CD as a backup and all our personnel have access to it.  Also a lot of our courses are 2.5 hours long, so if using Review 360 to take the course and the student has to leave or the course gets closed for some reason, Review 360 will not resume where left off.   I have never used the Publish to Web, but just tried it and it will not work on MS Share-point like Nadia pointed out below.  I really hope Articulate hears us, we need something that functions similar to Publish to CD.

Lori Dresner

I believe a project I've been working on will be affected by the "publish to CD" option going away. We have a training that is set up on a "kiosk" computer that isn't connected to the internet for our test-takers. I recently updated the training and just learned that publish to CD is the method needed to republish it to the kiosk. While I understand that the option isn't going away until 2022, will there be an alternative if we need to update our training again in the future and publish to CD is no longer an option? Thanks!

Lisa Bromley

Hi Leslie,

I'm not sure what specifics are in Lori's response that are not in just about everybody else's in this thread? It seems most people use Publish to CD to provide content for people who don't have any or have very weak internet connections. The workaround - publish to web - won't work for these cases. If Articulate is able to provide a viable alternative to the Publish to CD option, I'm sure everyone would love to hear it! 😊 Looking forward to your response.