View, Try, Test Mode

Jul 04, 2022

I am working on a project that will require the view, try and test modes in a series of screen recordings.  I have no trouble doing the recording and using it to insert the view scene and the try scene.  However, when I try to insert the test scene, everytime I save the project the test scene disappears.  Any idea why?

5 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hi Stephanie, 

When making your screen recordings, do you have the project file saved in a local directory somewhere in your computer, or do you have it saved on a network drive? Having your project saved on a network drive might cause some issues when saving your project, so we recommend saving your files locally instead. 

You can also try doing a repair of your Storyline 360 installation if you find that all of your recordings are not being saved properly, and you already have your project file saved somewhere on your computer. If the issue persists, you can reach out to our support team by opening a case so we can take a closer look at what's happening. 

Susan Menzies

Hi Articulate people! I am trying to convert a Try Mode walkthrough to a Test Mode walk through but the slides disappear all the time. I've been able to convert one set of slides to Test Mode but can't do the other. I have tried this more than 5 times throughout two days and reverted to other work whilst waiting for the publishing. Very frustrated! My Storyline file is in C: drive. I have checked that I have all updates installed in Storyline and Articulate. I changed the scene name as well so it wasn't another Test Mode scene. Unfortunately the link in this segment isn't in English and I can't translate it from German on this computer. 

You can also try doing a repair of your Storyline 360 installation if you find that all of your recordings are not being saved properly, and you already have your project file saved somewhere on your computer.

Jina Ali

Hi Susan,

Found this tip from another thread: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/help-convert-a-simulation-from-view-mode-to-try-mode 

Summarised below. You can use the same method to change from View to Try to Test.

• Go to Home>Record Screen drop-down (see attached screenshot View to Try Mode 1.png)
  • You will see a list of your recordings. Select the one that says In Use (in the example attached screenshot View to Try Mode 1.png).
  • The Insert Slides window opens again and you can re-chose your options to Try Mode Steps,  and Insert Slides in New Scene (if you want to create a new Scene for the Try-mode version). See attached screenshot View to Try Mode 2.png.
Jose Tansengco

Hi Susan,

Looks like Jina is on top of things! 

Here's the link to the repair article that was included in the snippet that you shared:

If none of the troubleshooting steps work for you, would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!