Slides vs Layers

May 27, 2021

Please could someone advise when we should use a layer vs starting a new slide.  I have not read anything which clearly explains when a new slide should be used over a new layer.

I have looked at many demo courses and cannot workout why one may contain one slide and hundreds of layers or lots of slides with only a few layers.

I assume one has an advantage over another however none of the books I have read explains what, if any.

6 Replies
Adam Zamczyk

Use whatever suits you and your course.

Quick difference I can see is easy default navigation for slides. With layers you would have custom triggers to open specific layer. 

I tend to use layers of I want to display content related to the the main slide (some kind of feedback, tab, or specific action). 

Slides and scenes are just separate screens for me, easy to use navigation, progress variables etc. 

Judy Nollet

I second what Adam said: "Use whatever suits you and your course."

It's partly a matter of preference. Programming layers takes more work. I think that's worth it for interactions. But, personally, I wouldn't want the bother of having to create custom Prev and Next triggers to move through dozens of layers that could just be separate slides. 

And, of course, it's still important to consider the user's experience. For example:

• I once encountered a multi-layered slide in which the layers completely covered the base. The content progressed in a way that felt like viewing new slides, yet the slide # stayed the same. And they hadn't programmed returning through the layers to the base... 
  • I've also seen a tab interaction in which additional interactions were required within one of the tab layers. It got to the point where I wasn't sure where I was in the interaction anymore. 

BTW, I caution against using the built-in Prev and Next buttons to navigate through layers. Especially if the slides are numbered and/or the built-in Menu is used. Standard UI is that the Prev and Next buttons move to a slide with a different number and a different title in the Menu. 

Good luck with your Storyline journey!

Rubina Pak

I use layers quite a bit if I am expanding upon a topic for a slide. However, the only issue I have with layers is going back to the last layer of the slide from the next next slide. So, going from slide 2 to layer 3 of slide 1. It will go to slide 1 base layer, instead. You can create a trigger to go to the previous layer within a slide, but I have yet to figure out the trigger to go to the last layer of a slide from the next slide. Hope that makes sense.