Forum Discussion

NatashiaBearam-
Community Member
6 months ago

A "simple" way to include Maths equations inline

Hi all,

I struggled with this for a few weeks now so thought I'd share my solution to adding equations in Rise that display inline and without the need for images, as I see from the discussions that many have the same issues I did. As someone with a degree in Maths and who works with a lot of Math topics, it was very important to me to get the equations to display correctly, or I would have needed to find another programme to create these courses in.

Here is an image of an example I created in Rise for a Maths Vectors and Calculus course:

The initial equations were created using the equation editor in Word. I then copied the equation and pasted as plain Unicode in the online converter: UnicodeMathML Playground (murrayiii.github.io) The unicode is then converted to inline equations in a separate block on the page and you simply copy the equation displayed straight into Rise! It does take longer than using an equation editor but until Articulate create that feature this is an excellent workaround! 

Note: Fractions do not display well using plain Unicode so you may still need to use images when inserting fractional equations or expressions.

Hope this helps.

LaurenBeeson
    Community Member

Same, the functionality is there to add an equation editor; Rise just needs to add it. Seems like there are tickets going back 8 plus years asking for math. Please add in the math equation.  

• Thanks for sharing your work in the E-Learning Heroes Community, Natashia! I'm sure it will be helpful to folks who come across this post working on something similar. 

Hope that you have a great afternoon! 

TerraCotta
    Community Member

Hello, I would like to have this feature as well. It's a bummer for math teachers like me to not able add even the simplest fractions.

Would greatly appreciate Rise to include strong support with math equations. Thank you!

• Hi Terra, 

Thanks for sharing your voice with us. We currently have this logged as a feature request, so I’ll go ahead and include your voice. We’ll update this discussion if this feature makes it on our feature roadmap.

Have a great day! 

HannahMohr
    Community Member

Ditto. Please please add in the equation editor for Rise and Storyline.