Forum Discussion

AndreasFisch839
Community Member
8 months ago

Accessibility - Colour Blindness

Hi Heroes,

I'm working on a Storyline project that includes accessibility considerations. I'm very interested in your design experiences of visual impairment and colour-blindness. I'd like to include a slider interaction where the learner needs to slide a beer glass (slider button) to the matching colour on a colour pallete. Some online articles and guidelines suggested to use a "pattern" instead of colour.

Please review the example and share your thoughts. Have you worked on any projects tailored for color-blind users? What design strategies did you employ to accommodate them? Thank  you!

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/0a4b7c3e-f69a-48aa-989f-a8040c9c3d54/review

• Hi Andreas,

One design rule says that for accessibility, you should not let color be the only way that information is conveyed. So, you could use color like in your sliders, but what about also adding numbers or letters with each distinct color. That way, someone with color blindness could more easily determine which box is which. The problem is that someone with color blindness might see two or more of your colored slider boxes as looking identical. With numbers in each box, it would at least distinguish the individual boxes by something other than color. Even better might be to put the name of the color in the boxes.

In case you didn't know, Adobe Color is a free website that allows you to check your color palette to see if it is safe for those with color blindness. Simply enter the colors you are using, such as the colors on your slider, and you will see how people with different color blindness types really view the colors. You can tell if your colors are not distinct enough for someone with color blindness to be able to tell the difference.

Color blind safe colors on color wheel | Adobe Color

Kendal Rasnake

www.memorablelearning.com

BWoods
    Former Staff

Hi Andreas. I'll second Kendal's recommendation of Adobe Color as a way to check your color palette. I also really like the palette-checking options at https://coolors.co, as they can show you how your colors are likely to be perceived by people with different types of color blindness.