Forum Discussion

AndrewJGibson
Community Member
3 months ago

Adding Up RNG Outputs on a Slide in Storyline 360

Basically, I am building an interactive kiosk program that is intended to be used as a pitch accessory when demoing to potential clients. I am working on a screen that breaks down the fees associated with the transaction. The fees are just random numbers generated through variables.

Is there a method, even if JavaScript is the method, to add up the generated numbers to show a total on the same screen?

I don't even know how to go about searching for this solution lol so if there is another discussion for it, please point me in that direction.

Thank you.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Andrew!

Absolutely, this is relatively easy to do and if it's just adding a series of numbers then you don't even need javascript.

Just set up a NUMBER DATA INPUT FIELD for each value you need.

Then create a NEW NUMERIC VARIABLE and call it "totalCount".

You'll use this to add up and hold the final value. 

Then place a TEXT REFERENCE to "totalCount" where ever you need it.

Finally add a trigger that says:

ADJUST VARIABLE. Set totalCount equal to the value of <variable1> and the value of <variable2> etc etc

And that should work!

• Andrew says, "ADJUST VARIABLE. Set totalCount equal to the value of <variable1> and the value of <variable2> etc etc"  -  Note that this cannot be done all at once. each variable must be added to totalCount individually:

ADJUST VARIABLE Add <variable1> to totalCount

ADJUST VARIABLE Add <variable2> to totalCount, etc with a separate trigger for each variable.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Ah yes, good point Walt! I rushed that explanation a bit. :)

Thanks!

• Oh wow! I didn't even know there was a trigger for adding variables together! That actually makes a lot of sense given what I know about variables now. But that worked exactly the way I was looking for. Thank you and now that I know you can do some basic arithmetic with triggers, this opens up a lot more for my project!