Forum Discussion

JoshGorman-c1e3
Community Member
3 years ago

An annoying bug when typing text in paragraphs

I've been encountering a rather annoying bug when writing paragraph text.

Here's the steps I am doing at the moment:

1. Type a word.
  2. Hit space.
  3. Type the next word.
  4. Delete the word, but not the space before it.

Rise has been automatically removing the space before the deleted word for me, triggering me to mistype merged words. You can see what's happening in the video I've attached.

I assume the code is constantly stripping trailing spaces.

It doesn't seem to happen all the time though, just enough to make me re-type often.

• I also experience this in Rise. I will be typing away and all of a sudden some text will be deleted and the cursor moves to the front of the paragraph. This is a common occurrence and causes quite a lot of frustration. I have it happen in Chrome and in Edge. 

hazelB
      Staff

Hi Sharon, sorry this is happening to you. Can you try to access Rise in Incognito or InPrivate window? Pressing Ctrl + Shift + n for Windows, or Press ⌘ + Shift + n for Mac switches you to Incognito mode and disables all browser plugins. Sometimes plugins cause odd behavior, do you still get the same issue when in Incognito?

SharonGregerson
        Community Member

Yes, still having the same issue using incognito. I am in a Citrix environment. When outside of Citrix this issue isn't there. Is there a known issue using Citrix and the Rise website?

JacobDavies
    Community Member

I am currently experiencing this issue. It was intermittent initially but now is constant and I have tried in both Chrome and Firefox. No plugins or browser extensions are installed. Also happens for a colleague of mine.

We are currently using Rise exclusively for a project and though we are putting up with it is not ideal and should be sorted out. Clearly causing issues for a lot of paying users!

hazelB
      Staff

Hi Jacob! So sorry you are encountering this issue. Please open a case with us here so that one of our technical support engineers can assist you.

• Hi folks! I have seen this issue happen when there is text that starts the line, and is formatted, or had been formatted (bold, italic, etc). Are you all seeing this occur with formatting changes, or does it seem to occur no matter what? 

This link shows a quick screencast of how I've reproduced the issue. The workaround at this point is not to start a line with formatted text, but instead to apply the formatting after you've completed the paragraph. We've documented this for a permanent fix!

MatthewThomp795
      Community Member
      Any word on a permanent fix?  It looks like it's occurring whenever there's formatting anywhere in the document even after exiting and re-entering and is incredibly annoying.
        LeaSAgato
        Staff

Hi there, Matthew! We don't have updates on when the permanent fix will be available. We'll definitely share here if anything changes. You're in the right place!

BenjaminDan
    Community Member

Hi there, I just wanted to add that I've been experiencing a similar issue, though it's not limited to happening when there is formatting involved (even for plain text it will often delete the space).

In addition to the deletion of space I've also noticed that formatting is often not applied as expected. That is, if I switch to using bold, underlined, or italicized text, if I stop using it at the end of a word it will continue applying it. I have to add a space before removing the formatting for it to take effect.

Example: If I am typing in bold and switch to regular characters, I have to use CTRL+B after leaving a space after the world "bold". If I use CTRL+B after typing the letter "d" and then leave a space, it will still continue in bolded letters afterwards.

Looking forward to any resolution or progress on these items, as it can be quite frustrating.

AlanBush
    Community Member

Same thing happens for me all the time. I type a word, delete it, and the cursor jumps back to the end of the previous word. I start typing because I expect this text editor to work like literally every other text editor ever, but my cursor is not where I expected it, so I now delete the mashed up word that I've created and my cursor jumps back again

This bug is so small, yet so frustrating. 

KarlMuller
      Community Member

Hi Alan,

This came up in another forum post, and as I recall someone tracked down the cause of the problem to a browser extension/plugin. 

Unfortunately I don't remember which browser extension/plugin was causing the problem.

BradyTyler
    Community Member

Also experiencing this issue.  My assumption is that while Rise is trying to actively save in the background, it's not able to keep up with our text entry and it keeps "reverting" back to the last recent save.

It's gotten frustrating enough that I find myself opening Notepad just to type one sentence so I can copy/paste it into Rise instead of typing it. 

If feels like the autosave feature is a blessing and a curse right now.