Forum Discussion

RonMeske
Community Member
5 months ago

Can I change the state of a text box if I faded that text box in by paragraph?

I have a text box with three paragraphs. I've selected the animation to fade in the text box by paragraph. So far so good. However, at certain points in the timeline, I would also like the state of the text box to change (I'm highlighting some words). I've created the other states of the box, I've set up my cue points, and I've created triggers to change the state at the cue points. But when the cue points are reached, the state does not change.

Is it not possible to trigger state changes in a text box that has been set to fade in by paragraph?

Thank you.

• Hi Max,

Happy to help!

I tried to replicate this behavior in a new Storyline 360 project file and the change state of the text box worked without any issues when used with:

• A text box that is set to fade in "By Paragraph"
    • A cue point to mark when the state will change in the timeline

I've attached a copy of the project file that I used for testing as a reference. If my project file animates properly for you, please share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so I can check what's causing the animation to not work properly in your file. We'll delete it when we're done testing!

RonMeske
    Community Member

Thanks for looking, Jose. I did see the whole shape change color in your example. Do you know if text within the shape can be highlighted as a state? Cue points 1 and 2 are not working, so I do have a workaround at cue point 3 to use a transparent shape. Let me know if I missed a variable, or if there's a solution.

RonMeske
    Community Member

Ah, also, I forgot to mention that I have opened a support case since originally posting this, but I did not write down my case number. I emailed the representative an example of my issue, which I'll also post here. I was told that I'd be contacted with a response. Please see the attachment.

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Max!

Thanks for following up!

I found your support case, that's being handled by my teammate, Janina. It looks like Janina replied to your e-mail today, May 17th. She shared insight on what was causing this behavior, as well as a revised copy of your project file.

If you have any more questions, feel free to reconnect with Janina through your case!

RonMeske
    Community Member

For anyone happening upon this thread in the future, the answer is that a text box fading in by paragraph cannot also have different states. You'll have to choose to create a different text box per paragraph, fade it in appropriately, and then apply states as you like. Or just fade in a single text box as one object, for which you can apply different states.