Forum Discussion

UshwinPai
Community Member
12 months ago

Colours don't match

Hi guys

I have had this problem for a while now and wonder if you can help.

When creating videos in Character Animator or Adobe Photoshop, I colour the background so that when it is imported on to SL, it should match the background there. 

In the example here, you can see the visible colour difference between the character background and SL shape. Example - In Glitch 3 - the pink background is #DAACD0. The visible colour difference to the area around the character is odd as this is also #DAACD0. 

I can't find any way to make the colours match. The only way I can do it is spending hours slowly moving the colour of the bg lighter until I get close. But it's a finger in the air method and isn't effective.

Is there a reason that colours never match even though the hex codes are exactly the same? 

This isn't a one off bug - this is every time.

• a short test with background color #daacd0

I have exported in photoshop with "export > save for web (Legacy) > png with transparency"

no problems with the color (#daacd0 is identical on the background and the pict)

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/e72b87d5-1843-4491-88d5-1ead0ba1df06/review

but there is a light border around the non transparent area in the pict (only with Firefox)

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/2ad4ac0b-a85c-472f-adfa-76bc2e3fcf8c/review

but now back to the original topic - which file format are you using

• png with or without transparency ?
    • color profiles ?
    • RGB / CMYK ?

UshwinPai
    Community Member

Thanks - ok I have managed to replicate this - great help - thanks!

What I still can't do is export from Adobe Character Animator to keep the colours matching.

Exporting as an MP4 - not many people use Character Animator so I am struggling to find a fix on this second point.

• compressed video is not made for identical color reproduction as for still images

compression and playback (!!!) may slightly change colors, brightness and contrast

example Adobe Charakter Animator exported "Quick Export High Quality"

top: original, bottom: a windows video player

top: original, bottom: Firefox

top: original, bottom: MS Edge (Chromium)

now as example the left eye

0x000000 - original 

Video playback
    0x020101 - windows video player
    0x020100 - Firefox
    0x050001 - MS Edge (Chromium) <- !!!

and now the same with png and jpg

0x000000 - original 

png or jpg (images without a color profile)
    0x000000 - Firefox
    0x000000 - MS Edge (Chromium)

not tested on Safari - but on mac there have always been significant differences in video playback compared to windows

=> no chance to embed video seemless into a background - you will always see the edges on one or the other browser

UshwinPai
      Community Member

Ah ok! Thank you for the advice! That's sad. Maybe I can create my character animation with a transparent background - but don't know if that's possible!

Jürgen_Schoene_
        Community Member

mp4 video don't support alpha channel

video with alpha channel is possible in the browser with video codec H265 or WebM

in detail

• Chrome: H265, WebM
        • Firefox: WebM
        • Safari Mac: H265 and WebM (not on old Macs)
        • Safari iOS: H265

and H265 is not free to use

video with alpha channel => not a real option