Forum Discussion

EdwardSand-bfdf
Community Member
4 months ago

Cue Point Timing and Triggers

Hi - quick question here about cue points and triggers.

I have videos where I want the video to stop (use of a cue point/pause timeline trigger) and have the user click somewhere (using a hotspot/resume timeline trigger). The hotspot only lasts about .25 of a second and is the cue point is within this time period.

In general this works well, but sometimes the timing is off. For example, the directions are no longer on the screen when the video stops. 

I have a background invisible square with a trigger to hide an untitled layer (a layer that only exists and doesn't have any function) so that when the user clicks the screen, nothing happens unless they are in an area with a hotspot. Errors tend to happen more when I click around on the screen as it is playing, but that totally might be coincidence. 

Any guidance to keep this from happening and my cue points to be totally fixed would be very helpful - thanks!

• For the invisible shape to do nothing when it is clicked, don't use a trigger. Unless, of course, you want a hand cursor to appear even when not above a hotspot. Then you need to be sure the invisible shape is between the video and the hotspot. Then the trigger is "change state of invisible object to Normal when invisible object is clicked". 

• Troubleshooting is just guessing without seeing the .story file. If you upload it, someone might be able to give you some guidance. Here are the best practices for uploading a .story file:

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
    • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
    • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “ lorem ipsum” text.
  • I apologize I can't share the projects I am working on - they are all proprietary.

I was hoping someone could tell me what trigger they would use for the invisible box so that it does absolutely nothing and doesn't throw off the timing. If not, that's ok it works well enough as is.