Forum Discussion

ChakiraLane-88a
Community Member
4 months ago

Custom Drag and Drop

I also posted in the better courses forum, so please forgive if I shouldn't have done that.
I primarily work is Rise, but I wanted to create a visually complex drag and drop, so I moved to storyline. Once I get working right, I will upload it as a block in the Rise course. So, Storyline's Free Form Drag and Drop doesn't allow the same draggable to be placed in multiple drop targets. Since I don't need my exercise to be graded, I decided to try to build it as a slide with triggers on the objects and hotspots as the drop targets. When an object is placed on a correct hotspot, a "Correct" feedback layer is shown. When it's placed on an incorrect hotspot, the "Incorrect" layer is shown. Once all the draggables are placed correctly, I would like a "Completion" layer to show. I created true/false variables for all the objects and set triggers for them to change to true if they are on the correct hotspot. I have references on my base layer to see if they are turning. Right now, I have the variable trigger above the feedback trigger. Is that placement correct? Then, I created a trigger on the slide to show that completion layer if all of my variables are "true." But so far, I can never get this layer to show. So, SOMETHING is not right. But I don't know what. Am I depending too much on layers?  Then, once this is complete, I would like the whole thing to reset to the beginning. My Storyline skills are extremely mid, and I'm just at a complete lost as to how to get this to behave the way I want it it. Any help would be appreciated.

• Here's the problem:

This trigger fires exactly at the one moment when the timeline of the slide ends, but never again. , You can never be sure the timeline will not end before the learner has everything dropped, even if you set it to a ridiculously large time.

Try this, instead:

Copy it from the base layer onto each layer. 

• Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like that was the problem. I copied the show completion layer trigger to all of the other layers, and still nothing.

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hello Chakira,

Happy to help!

I tested your slide and observed the following: 

• Your hotspots are placed too close to each other, and the height of some of your drop objects exceeds the height of certain hotspots. This might lead to issues when your learners drop the objects on sections of the slides that cover two hotspots. 
      • Some of your hotspots overlap.
      • The trigger to show the completion layer will only get activated when the timeline ends, but this event would have already happened by the time all of the items are dropped.

Walt's suggestion to change the event when the completion layer is activated is accurate - would you mind sharing a copy of your edited project file here with Walt's changes so we can check to see how it behaves?

• Ahhhhhhh, Omg! I JUST realized what I was doing wrong. I wasn't applying that trigger to the hotspot. It DID work. Thanks for bearing with me.

KellyAuner
      Staff

Happy to hear that, Chakira! Thanks for updating this discussion.