Forum Discussion

WilliamRyan-dba
Community Member
4 months ago

decimal places in numeric variable

Hi there,

I have an interaction with a number of numeric entry fields, and the default for the fields seem to be whole numbers. I have buttons that increment the values of the fields by +/- 0.25. I would prefer the whole numbers to be displayed with 2 decimal places also. I don't see how to do it. Any help is appreciated... 

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi William.

When ive had to do this sort of thing in the past, the Storyline number variable automatically defaults to two decimal places, so I use that instead of a numeric data entry text field.

Then simply use your buttons and a "Adjust Variable" trigger, to set the variable value correctly.

WilliamRyan-dba
      Community Member

I don't know what I'm missing. I add a numeric variable, and if I set the default value to "0.00", the variable stubbornly reverts to "0". The other interactions work as expected: the increase and decrease value by 0.25 correctly sets the decimal place, but when the number gets to a whole number, there are no decimal places. 

SteveGannon
        Community Member

Hi William,

Storyline does not display trailing zeros. You can work around this with a bit of JavaScript (see attached). This involves sending the numeric value to JavaScript, having JavaScript round the value to two decimal places, convert it to a text value with the trailing zero (or zeroes), and then having JavaScript assign that to a text variable in Storyline. (Note: the custom text variable must already be created in Storyline before executing the JavaScript.)

• That's strange,  because I did set it up as a number variable.  I'll have a look and try again...