Forum Discussion

KaylaHogrefe
Community Member
2 months ago

Drag and Drop Help

Hi, a couple questions on the attached drag-and-drop slide.

1. When the user encounters either of the "incorrect" layers, is there a way to make the incorrect response go automatically back to its original spot at the bottom of the slide? Right now, the user needs to drag the incorrect response back to make space to try a different response.

2. I cannot figure out why the motion path for the correct response ends so high on the screen. To me it looks correct in the set up.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Oh wow Kayla, you have been busy! There is so much going on here and so many triggers!

Do you know that Storyline could have done all this for you by using the CONVERT TO FREEFORM and choosing Drag and Drop?

Then Storyline would have handled all the triggers and movement.
    You should never need to do all that you have done for a simple drag and drop.

To answer your questions though:
    1. yes, on your TRY AGAIN button, add another trigger that says "Jump to slide THIS SLIDE when the user clicks Try Again button".
    NOTE - make sure this trigger comes before the "Hide Layer this layer" trigger.

2. your motion path START point is moving because the user can DRAG the box. And because the Start position has moved, then the END point has moved relative to this as well... hence the higher end point. If you click the box instead of dragging it, the animation ends in the correct place.

If I was handling this, I would get rid of the clicking functionality completely, remove all the motion paths, and just convert the slide to FREEFORM. Then use the Form view to set up all your drag and drop correct/incorrect settings, and thats it; Storyline will do the rest!

I hope that helps some. Let us know if there is anything else you need help with :)

• Hi Kayla,

I would definitely go with what Andrew suggested in his post. The Free Form will certainly give you more control over drag-and-drop events in your interaction. It is not the motion path causing the correct response to appear so high, but rather the dropped object tending to snap to the center of the drop target. If you expand the drop target, the correct answer will snap to the center and appear lower than it does now. If you’re not keen on converting everything to Free Form, you can review the attached .story file. I’ve made some minor adjustments by expanding the drop target so that the correct or incorrect answer appears in the same position within the target, whether it is clicked or dropped. I also added triggers to the Incorrect layers, as Andrew suggested.