Forum Discussion

AprilDrennan-f8
Community Member
20 days ago

Drag and Drop Usability

I have a drag and drop interaction where two of the answers should go into the "house" or target, and the other two should not. Is it possible when the wrong answers or objects go into the "house" that the automatically snap back and won't be allowed in the house? I also would like any comments anyone would have about usability and how I can make the interaction better. Thank you.

• The easiest way to make the items snap back is to do this: 

• Set the Drap & Drop Options to "Return item to start point if dropped outside a correct drop target." 
    • Delete the triggers that change the wrong items to the DropIncorrect state. 

Another option is to add a 0-length motion path to the objects. Trigger that move to happen when the object is dropped on the House Target. I included that, because using a 0-length motion path is also how to trigger incorrectly dropped objects to return when they've been evaluated as wrong and you're giving the user another attempt.

Both options are demonstrated in the attached file.

BTW, making the wrong objects snap back means the user can never answer the question incorrectly. Thus, there's no need to provide multiple attempts. 

Ange
    Community Member

Hi April, If using the in-built or custom drag-and-drop you can set it to snap back immediately if incorrect. Or, check out this link on how to reset drag and drop after 'Submit': Storyline 360: Reset Drag-and-Drop Incorrect Choices | Articulate - Community

The site is being super slow for me at the moment, so tough to add more info or file download samples. So, for interaction ideas take a look at the E-Learning Challenges under 'Learn' at the top of this page, there are ton of inspired drag-and-drop samples, and how-to drag-and-drop accessibility.