Forum Discussion

MartinMaynard-1
Community Member
3 years ago

Escape the Room trivia game

I would like to share an Escape the Room game I created for my learners. This  exercise gets the trainees to go through the assessment questions in a fun and interactive way so they never feel like they are being tested. 

They have to navigate the room, complete actions and puzzles to get the key to get out of the room.

This is by far the biggest Storyline build I have made to date and everything is done within Storyline.

Let me know what you think!!

(the soundtrack that goes over the entire project has been removed for copyright purposes, but it still has creepy sounds)

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/d5407e3d-1720-41ca-abe9-218908249de1/review

BWoods
    Former Staff

Hi Martin,

That was a very tense setup for the escape room! Nicely done, especially with the audio and the shaky scene in the van.

You mentioned this was the most extensive Storyline build you've ever made. Are there any tips you might have to share about streamlining the escape room creation process (from the development or design sides of it)?

MartinMaynard-1
      Community Member

1. Label everything (slides, scenes, audio, motion paths, etc.) - This is a mantra, and said everyday, because of it's immense importance. And yes I am hearing Ron Price from Yukon Learning singing  "If you liked it then you shoulda put a label on it". When a project is small, you can get away with not labeling, but when it's big, you will get lost if you don't

2. Put each action in it's own scene. This allows you to preview and test the functionality of the entire action without having to go through every slide, but can still check the interconnected actions between the slides of the action. 

3. Save often. Enough said

BWoods
        Former Staff

You (and Yukon Learning's training) are so right about the labeling! It makes such a big difference for keeping everything in order the more complex a project gets.

Also, now I definitely need to hear Ron Price sing "If you liked it then you shoulda put a label on it"!  ;)

• Ooooh, this is so good Martin! Your story setup got me like 😨. And as a person who loves checklists, I super appreciate the inventory button. Thanks so much for sharing this example and for all the tips! 

MartinMaynard-1
      Community Member

Thank you, Sarah. And I have enjoyed your Broomstick Brew game as well. Where did you get the graphics for that? Did you make them yourself??