Forum Discussion

JOANNELOWE
Community Member
7 years ago

Export all text to speech for translation

Hi

I'm using Storyline 360. I need to translate all my closed caption text/text to speech to Welsh. The main translation was fine but I'm having to go into every slide now to copy and paste the text to speech translation in. I'm sure there must be a better way but I don't know what it is.

I tried export captions but that only did one slide and in a file I couldn't open.

Thanks for your help

Jo (New!)

• Thanks for the consideration, Ashley.  The first module I did the caption translation on took literally a full 8-hour day.  That's a lot of manpower to spend on just one language translation; especially when we have multiple languages (and module!) to do. 

Since we're talking about this, let me also mention another time-waster on this topic of translation.  I have the translation text for that frame on the left monitor and the Storyline file open on the right.  I CTRL+C the Spanish text, and want to plop it in the correct frame.  I click on the audio file, click AUDIO TOOLS | OPTIONS, | ADD CAPTIONS.  I want to be able to just CTRL+V the Spanish text into the blue highlighted "cell".  I cannot.  If I do, I get the translated text copied into the "cell" and the English version is still there, requiring me to mess around to delete the English version. My work around is to DELETE CAPTION altogether, then add INSERT CAPTION along with the Spanish text.  It works but it's clunky.

• Thanks, Karen and Joanne for sharing how important this feature is for you and your teams. This feature hasn't bubbled up to the top of our roadmap, but we're still listening to the feedback!   We'll let you know here as soon as we have any more info. Here's a bit more about how we work to prioritize feature requests.

• Hey folks, 

I really appreciate you sharing how this limitation has been a challenge for you, and we're listening. If we make any changes to the Text to Speech translation process in the future, you'll be among the first to know about it!

• I'm weighing in on this being an issue too.  We maintain the English audio version file, then get the entire Storyline file translated into multiple languages and then save separate files for each language.  We then have to manually go in to swap out English for Spanish (or whatever language) captions.  What a time consuming process.  Is there a better way when the client wants the original audio to remain in English and only have the captions change into another language?

JOANNELOWE
      Community Member

I agree with all. When we translate to Welsh to meet the government requirements, I have to manually change every caption. Even though the main text can be exported and translated. Seems a strange omission.

ERICCOUDURIER
    Community Member

Hi,

To translate your captions, you must access to each text to speech file and export, one by one, the text. It is absolutely not productive !!!
    And this is not only needed for the translation. Often, you have to edit the text to have the correct pronunciation, mainly for acronyms or to pause in the text by adding dots or commas.
    After, you need to edit the captions to reflect the original text.

• Hi Jo,

Are they different audio or video files? 

This would be the expected behavior. Check out the documentation here.

Bulk export and/or the ability to have one export document that can be sent for translation is a feature request that we are tracking. I'll be sure to add this conversation to the report so that we can update you here when we can.

JOANNELOWE
    Community Member

Hi

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but whenever I click export captions it only exports one slide to VTT.

Sorry

Jo

• Hi there, Jo!

Here are the two sections from our User Guide on exporting and translating your closed captions.  

When you export captions from the closed captions editor, it generates a VTT file. You'll then open the captions file in a text editor or a translation program and replace the captions with translated text.

Let me know if you have more questions about that!