Forum Discussion

JOANNELOWE
Community Member
7 years ago

Export all text to speech for translation

Hi

I'm using Storyline 360. I need to translate all my closed caption text/text to speech to Welsh. The main translation was fine but I'm having to go into every slide now to copy and paste the text to speech translation in. I'm sure there must be a better way but I don't know what it is.

I tried export captions but that only did one slide and in a file I couldn't open.

Thanks for your help

Jo (New!)

• Thanks for the consideration, Ashley.  The first module I did the caption translation on took literally a full 8-hour day.  That's a lot of manpower to spend on just one language translation; especially when we have multiple languages (and module!) to do. 

Since we're talking about this, let me also mention another time-waster on this topic of translation.  I have the translation text for that frame on the left monitor and the Storyline file open on the right.  I CTRL+C the Spanish text, and want to plop it in the correct frame.  I click on the audio file, click AUDIO TOOLS | OPTIONS, | ADD CAPTIONS.  I want to be able to just CTRL+V the Spanish text into the blue highlighted "cell".  I cannot.  If I do, I get the translated text copied into the "cell" and the English version is still there, requiring me to mess around to delete the English version. My work around is to DELETE CAPTION altogether, then add INSERT CAPTION along with the Spanish text.  It works but it's clunky.

• Thanks so much for sharing that feature request with our team. 

I took a look after watching your video and thought it was because the actual text had not been highlighted to be replaced, but the same behavior happens then as well, and the text is not 'replaced,' but adds to the caption.

I can see how that would be time-saving as well.

JimBertelsen
    Community Member

Hi all,

I've created an app that does the following:

1. Upload a Storyline 360 file
    2. Export an Excel XLSX report of all closed captions in the Storyline file.
    3. Edit captions in the report.
    4. Generate captions via speech-to-text.
    5. Generate audio via text-to-speech.
    6. Download Storyline 360 file with updated captions.

I am looking for files for testing. While I'm still in the testing phase, if you can share a Storyline 360 file with me, and if the app works with your content, I'll return to you the report with your updated Storyline 360 file.

I can be reached at jimbertelsen@gmail.com 

Thanks!

davidepivi
    Community Member

Please add the text-to-speech texts to all the other basic texts that are exported for translations when you use the function "translations">Export to .xlf / Export to Word
    ASAP

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Davide!

Thanks for sharing the feedback on the type of functionality you'd like to see with this feature! I've added your voice to the feature report and will update this discussion if it makes it onto our feature roadmap.

Thanks for reaching out, and have a great rest of your week!

davidepivi
        Community Member

Hi Steven;
        Thanks for your feedback.

Any news about this? 
        Best regards,
        Davide

• I too, am struggling with this!

We have 8 modules in English with TTS and I have translated them in to 12 languages but the TTS is not exported with the content and remains in English. 

Is there any workaround to get all the TTS out and back in again without doing it individually?

I have done 3 modules in spanish but i can't face urdu, arabic, chinese and bulgarian.... please help!

PhilMayor
      Super Hero

There is an app on the windows store heroprevail. It is much easier if in the media library to export and import but still one at a time.
      Sent from my iPhone

davidepivi
    Community Member

Hi Phil, 
    i don't understand what you mean exactly with the app, is this an integration in articulate?

In any case, we localize all our courses in 20+ different languages, it's a very big procedure to implement each localization, yet we choose Articulate as content developing software precisely because it had the course text import/export function so nicely designed:

Now we would like to add TTS features to our courses but localization times will skyrocket if we add this function because it would  mean to manually do something that could be VERY EASILY automatized. It Really make no sense to add such a great TTS function and then leave it out of existing automatic localization features.

I am not a developer, but to me it seems super easy to include the TTS fields in the "translation>export to XLF feature.

davidepivi
    Community Member

Thank you Phil,

I am checking it out and it seems Heroprevail could be useful, I will give it a shot.

Thank you for your really kind suggestion!

Best regards,
    Davide