Forum Discussion

TristanDF
Community Member
3 hours ago

Freeform Quiz score added to custom quiz score variable

Hello

I have 14 freeform quiz questions and then one custom built drop down selection question.

I am trying to add the result of the custom question to the Quiz.Score.Points variable to have a final score out of 15 at the end, but this doesn't seem to be working by submitting the results and adding the variables together on the results slide.

I have seen some complicated solutions using Javascript but are there any simpler ones for something like this?

• With just Storyline (SL), you can't adjust the value of the built-in quiz variables. However, there is a workaround so SL can score a custom question.

The trick is to add your custom question to a multiple-choice (MC) question slide. 

• Use just two responses for the MC: a "correct" button and and "incorrect" button. Hide those buttons, so the user doesn't see them and can't click them. (This is easiest to do with a Freeform Pick One. Just move the buttons off the slide.)
    • Add a trigger to the Submit button that changes the "correct" button to Selected with the condition(s) that indicate they answered the custom question correctly. Include an Else statement that changes the "incorrect" button to Selected (which will happen if the conditions aren't met). Note: Be sure to put this trigger before the trigger that submits the interaction.

Depending on exactly how your custom question is set up, you may also need to add triggers to ensure the question can be properly reviewed and retried.