Forum Discussion

Andreavarga-a85
Community Member
4 hours ago

Advice requested about branching and freeform

Hi everyone, A newbie here and I would really appreciate your advice. I am developing my first complete project in Storyline 360, which really is just a demo for me to learn the ropes. The idea is that the learner needs to complete 5 mini-challenges or quizzes and will get a star for each challenge that is completed correctly. So far so good. I found a post here about how to award the stars and that is super useful.

#1 - I am using 4 of the freeform question types. My idea is to give the learner a certain response for incorrect answers and let them try again but only twice. My question is probably pretty basic. I figured, after a lot of videos and reading posts, that the best is to customise the built-in feedback layers so that they are styled the same as all the other slides. This way, I can easily track how many points the learner has and I can use the built-in score variable to show the correct number of stars and easily limit the number of tries.

#2 However, I am not sure if it would be pedagogically, or technically, better to turn off the feedback layers and create branching, either redirect the learner to the 'well done, here's your star and now go to the next question' slide, or 'oh-oh try again' slide. In this case, how would I limit the number of tries to 2?

Do IDs use both of these solutions? Or is one of them better than the other (in any specific scenario)? And also, in technical ID language, is #1 what you call branching, too?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. 

Thank you in advance for your input!

• You can easily set the attempts for standard and freeform questions in FORM VIEW.

When the Attempts field is >1, Storyline automatically adds a Try Again layer. It will show that layer whenever the user answers incorrectly until they have used up their attempts. At that point, submitting an incorrect answer will show the Incorrect layer.

As for feedback, you can put whatever you want on the feedback layers. So I say you might as well take advantage of the automatic functions for submitting questions and showing feedback.

FYI: In case you're interested, this post has info and a demo file for giving different feedback based on the number of attempts: TIP: Give Different "Try Again" Feedback After the 2nd Attempt | Articulate - Community