Forum Discussion

JamesLandrigan
Community Member
7 months ago

Help with accessibility

I am having trouble with the focus order on the attached slide. I thought that if I set the focus order the that order would be used when tabbing through content and by a screen reader. Unfortunately when I start tabbing it goes straight to the "Psychological Literacy" button and skips everything else. Any advice would be welcome. As well as attaching the file here is the slide on Review https://360.articulate.com/review/content/de7723d2-8f8e-4291-9811-557aac9b7327/review 

• Hi James, when using the tab key, focus will be taken to interactive elements such as buttons, form elements etc. If using a screen reader to navigate the content, the tab key is rarely used. The up/down arrow keys are used to move through the content on the page from top to bottom. There are also other handy shortcut keys depending on the screen reader you used.

Tabbed browsing is generally not used in conjunction with a screen reader, and is more likely to be used by other assistive technology when a user does not have the fine motor control required for controlling a mouse.

• I would recommend consulting the documentation for your screen reader and keeping a cheat sheet handy for common browser controls.