Forum Discussion

EricR
Community Member
10 years ago

How to use the "cmi.progress_measure" to track the progress in a course ?

Hi,

I need to track the progress in a course in a LMS.

In SCORM 2004 the progress is transmitted from the content to the LMS through the variable : cmi.progress_measure.

However, Presenter and Storyline don't use this variable. We can only track the completion status using the number of slide viewed or the quiz result.

So my questions are :

• Why Ariculate doesn't use the "cmi.progress_measure" ?
  • Why Articulate is SCORM 2004 conformant without using this SCORM variable ?
  • Is there any solution to track the progress in a course and not only the completion ?
  • In Captivate (Adobe),  it is possible to add a javascript code to do that. Can we do that with Storyline?

Thanks for your answers.

• Hi Jeff!

That's an interesting point! 

You can track completion by determining the passing percentage. This tracks the users who score at or above the passing percentage. Here is a glance at the LMS options.

Did you mean reporting the score in it's entirety, whether they pass or fail? Let me know if I'm off-base!

CatWittman
    Community Member

Hi! I recently learned that Rise still doesn't track cmi.progress_measure. However, your staff shared the following article about how to track progress within Storyline using a quiz question (see article). My question is if I have courses built in Rise, can I include a Storyline block that is the aforementioned quiz to then track progress? Looking for a workaround until Rise recognizes such SCORM 2014 4th Ed. parameters. Thanks!

• Hi Cat,

Yes, you can track the completion of your Rise course via Storyline Block and Quiz. The solution that Justin shared above would provide a percentage within the Storyline Block and not your overall Rise course, so I'm not sure if that's completely what you are looking for.

I'd be curious to hear from others in the community that may have implemented a similar setup and any feedback they may have.

martinansbro
    Community Member

Has anyone found a resolution to this? Specifically to force a Rise360 SCORM course to send percentage progress completion data to an LMS via cmi.progress_measure?
    Any work-arounds or code snippets with specific instructions for a course producer?

BeccaLevan
      Community Member

Hello martin,

Great call on starting a case to connect with one of our support engineers about this. I see my teammate, Robert, is working with you. We can keep the conversation going in your case, so we have all the info in one spot!

• Is it possible to track progress % in Rise 360 yet? I think it is a very important feature, knowing where you are in a course helps with adherence as well. 

• Hello Derek, thank you for your question!

Are you referring to reporting the percentage completed to the LMS? Unfortunately, there is no way to send a progress percentage completed to the LMS- only whether the learner has met the completion requirement or not (complete or incomplete). 

The learner, however, can see progress percentage as they are taking the Rise course. The total number of lessons viewed calculates the completion percentage. For example, if a learner has fully viewed 3 out of 4 lessons (you'll see checkmarks in the menu), the learner would be considered 75% complete.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

• I mostly build scorm packages using html/javascript/css, but have recently been using Articulate Storyline and RISE. I ended up writing some additional javascript to send user progress as the score back to the LMS. I choose to send it as the score, rather than the progress, because I prefer to use the scorm 1.2 learning standard, and cmi.progress_measure is only supported in scorm 2004, and the courses I build evaluate completion as being 100% progress-complete (no quizzes or assessments contributing to score). It took a bit of work to figure out, and there's a bit of a process involved to add this javascript back into the exported scorm package. So, I was wondering Articulate recommends a code snippet market place for this sort of thing.

GailChambers-30
      Community Member

Hi Ben -

We would like to gather both course progress/completion utilizing multiple Storyline Blocks as well as Final Assessment scores for a Rise course. 

Have you been able to accomplish this utilizing javascript? Assume you are using SCORM 2004 4th edition. 

Can you relay process/direction?

• Hi Ben,

I love that you've started using Storyline and Rise to build your SCORM packages! I hope you are enjoying the software! JavaScript recommendations aren't usually given by our staff, but there are many people in our E-Learning Heroes community that are well-versed in JavaScript. So I will leave you in their hands for any recommendations!

Thanks for reaching out!