Forum Discussion

JeffRobedee
Community Member
7 years ago

Image Compression in Storyline 3

I know this has been discussed before, but there seems to be no solution. I am working on a project that contains a lot of screenshots. Originally I imported the files from a PPT (same 16:9 settings) from the SME. Regardless of whether I locked the size of the player to optimal, or changed the image quality to 100% via publish quality, the images come out unacceptable. I notice that the images look absolutely fine when I am previewing and/or working on the project, but nothing I do makes the output even halfway acceptable. Is there a fix for this? 

I did also try to copy the original images from the PPT as well as retake my own screenshots, but the final product is always a blurry mess. 

Help would be greatly appreciated!

PaulJaeger
    Community Member

Storyline 360 is still compressing files. I have tried using my jpg files at the size that they are supposed to be in Storyline and they still look fuzzy. I have changed my compression settings in Publish to 100%. I have checked in IE and Chrome and it doesn't matter the browser I am using. They still compress. When is there going to be a real fix for this so what I am seeing in photoshop looks just like what should be outputting in Storyline 360.

RosalineLandsie
      Community Member

I am also interested in finding out whether there is an answer to Heinee's issue. If you could please provide an answer as soon as possible.

• Very sorry you're at this obstacle, Nikki. 

A few questions to make sure you get the most up-to-date support:

• What version of Storyline are you using? You can find this detail by clicking on the Help tab, then About Storyline.
    • Do you notice the difference in quality during Preview, in the published output, or both? If in the published output: What browser(s) are you using to view the content?
    • If you can share a sample .story file with our Support team for testing, that would be gold. We'll delete it after troubleshooting. If that works for you, send it along by using this private upload link!
  • Hi Rosaline!

I'm happy to help! First, which version of Storyline 3 are you using? We released this bug fix in Update 7 which was released on September 10, 2019.

Are you able to share your file with us so we can begin testing? You can do so by using the "add attachment" button in this discussion. Or you can share the file privately with our Support Engineers by using this link.

CédricMallet
    Community Member

Hi,

this discussion is old but I'd like to know if a bug has been identified and fixed.

We have courses with many schematics and diagrams, and even with the image quality setting at maximum value, there is an built-in, systematic compression on rendering which makes some of them blurry. This happen especially on simple diagrams, which are already very light and look just fine on preview, but the final published version is awful.

We use Storyline 2. I was considering upgrading to 3 but I'd like to ensure the problem has been fixed since then..

Thank you

CédricMallet
    Community Member

Here are screenshots of the project file and the web rendered page. See the difference in the top image. Almost unreadable!

CédricMallet
    Community Member

Hi Lauren. 

Great news! We'll consider upgrading then. 

Thank you, 

• Same issue as above. Screenshot jpgs are being compressed in spite of setting quality to 100% and having the image the same size as the original. Is the compression happening on import or export? Running Storyline 3.53.

LaurenConnelly
      Staff

Hello Daniel!

Sorry, you're into this issue as well! I'm happy to help. You might notice the quality is compromised on the slide in Story View and possibly Preview, but the blurriness should not appear in the published output. Are you also seeing the quality of the image distorted in the published output?

If so, I'd like our team to take a look at your project. You can either attach it to this public discussion or share the .story file privately with our team in a support case.