Forum Discussion

CherylFleming
Community Member
7 months ago

Interactive Resume in Storyline

Hello!

I have worked in Insurance for the last ten years and I am carving out my path to work in Instructional Design. In the past, I was responsible for creating job aids, walkthroughs, training materials but I was limited to SnagIt, Word, etc., and would publish the knowledge articles to the company's SharePoint site. I knew there had to be a better way of documenting processes and provide training but we were pretty limited with resources. I left my employer in October and have been studying Adult Education Theories, e-Learning techniques and authoring tools. I have been watching the On Demand training on Storyline and I knew without a doubt this is what I want to be doing. 

Near the beginning of February I started my 30 day trial of Articulate and I have been creating some projects in Storyline as I walk through the courses, but I did not have any projects I could really share with potential employers. It dawned on me that perhaps the best thing I could show them is an interactive resume. I worked on this the last few days and tried to keep it simple (one slide), but include layers, triggers, hotspots, animations, etc. to demonstrate key skills.  It would be incredibly helpful to me if someone would be willing to review what I have and provide any tips or feedback on what I created:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/5a9b65db-0f0f-4a29-b979-dbae4de58a43/review

(Please let me know if you cannot view the link)

For context as to the aim of the resume, I have 7 years of claims experience and the last 3 years in IT supporting the claims staff in a systems training/software defect management capacity so I would ideally like to work under the Learning & Development/ Instructional Design umbrella for an Insurance company. 

Looking forward to joining the community! 

Thank you,

Cheryl

• Yes, the link works. 

Your resume is quite nice! I like the simplicity of it. 

Here are a few concerns/suggestions: 

• There's no way to get back to the "Hello" info. (Well, except refreshing the entire webpage.) 
    • To me, it would be better to have the tabs fly in under your image. Or perhaps change them to rectangles, and have them fly in from the right. 
    • I suggest that each tab have a Normal state and a Selected state. Also, put them into a button set. That will provide visual feedback about which one is the current tab.
      • As it is, clicking around, I sometimes ended up with more than one tab looking like it was selected: 

• The tab and heading should match. They don't here: 

• There's no need to show the Menu for a 1-slide project. I suggest you remove that from the Player Features.

• The Player's Resources tab is available, but there's nothing in it. I like the links you have under your photo, so I suggest you remove Resources from the Player Features.

I don't mean for this to discourage you. These are minor items, and others may have different preferences. You should be proud of yourself!

Best wishes for success. 😄

CherylFleming
      Community Member

It is not discouraging at all, THANK YOU! It is amazing what you miss when there is only one set of eyes on a project. I appreciate you, this helps immensely!