Forum Discussion

MrXYZ
Community Member
2 months ago

Is it possible to lock/disable text entry on revisit?

Hi, 

TextEntry

Is it possible to create these two scenarios in Articulate storyline?

Scenario 1: If the learner enters the incorrect password multiples time in the text entry field, the text entry field should be locked.

Scenario 2: If the learner has entered the correct password in the text entry. It should proceed to the next slide and on revisit to the same text entry slide, the text entry should be locked or disabled, displaying a message saying that the learner has already entered the correct password and no need to enter the password again and he can proceed with the course.

Thank you,

• Hi Mr. XYZ,

I think I have some possible solutions.

I have attached a Storyline project so you can see how I did it. 

For Scenario 1, I added a Submit button. Once the learner hits submit 3 times, it shows a layer that says the password is locked, unless they entered the correct code (1234) in the text box, which was then added to the TextEntry variable. If they did enter the correct code it takes them to the next slide.

For Scenario 2, I added a Slide Revisit layer on slide 1. Then when a user visits slide 1, a Trigger checks to see if the TextEntry variable has the correct code (1234). If it does, it shows them the Revisit layer and skips the normal password entry layer.

Nedim
    Community Member

I normally use a single line of JavaScript to ensure that the data entry field is disabled after a specific event, and a custom variable to track the number of attempts. In the attached demo, the data entry field is disabled when the user hits ENTER and the number of attempts is 0. The Incorrect layer will continue to show as long as the number of attempts is greater than 0. The data entry field is also disabled when the user hits ENTER and the data entry field is equal to "Start." Additionally, it should be disabled when the learner revisits the slide if the data entry field is equal to "Start" when the timeline starts. I am not sure what your next course of action is when the data entry field is disabled and no more attempts remain. See the attached demo and let me know if this is close to what you are looking for, so I can upload my .story file for you to review.