Forum Discussion

FrancesMcGill-b
Community Member
4 years ago

List of accessibility workarounds?

Hi all,

I'm using Storyline 360 to make accessibility courses and it seems like there are so many caveats and things that don't work properly with keyboard navigation and screen readers. I'm wondering if anyone has been keeping track of what to do/not to do, and what works/doesn't work?

Specifically when using slidemasters and layers. It seems I can't hide items in slidemaster from the Focus layers, and when I'm going through screen content it is picking up things that aren't even on my slide (like boxes that aren't there). Any help is appreciated. I've been going through theses discussions and there are so many things to consider...been trying NVDA and JAWs.

Thanks!

• Hi Frances,

I'm so sorry you're struggling with this. I have good news though: there's a solution!

To hide an object on a slide master from the Focus order, simply right-click on that object, select Accessibility, and uncheck the "Object is visible to accessibility tools" box. Here's a GIF that walks through that process.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Ok thanks. I guess I'm just not sure what should also be on a slidemaster or not. For example, if I have the same title on every screen i.e. "Module 1" I would assume that putting in in a slide master made sense. However, if it is not hidden, it will be read on every page. Is that the best way to proceed?

• Hi Frances -

We are also working through this and wish that there was a tips and tricks guide somewhere re what will and won't work with screen readers etc. For example, in our testing, we discovered that drop-downs are only partially read. Meaning it will read the 'select' but not anything in the drop-down menu so they are no longer an option for us. 

Regarding your question about the focus order. We have created our templates so that the master 'objects' are invisible such as design details (graphics etc.) that are visual affects only. All other objects like titles etc. are visible to accessibility tools. So if module 1 is on every slide but is just a visual affect, then make it invisible. If it is a visual cue for orientation, for sighted learners, then best practice would be to provide the same orientation for someone using accessibility tools... make sense?

• Thanks for getting back to me Gillian,

Module 1 is an orientation cue for sighted learners, and will definitely be required for unsighted learners. However, I believe it would be annoying to hear it on every page.

So I'm thinking that a workaround could be to create the heading on the Master Slide that is hidden, but then to create an additional heading on the first page that is not hidden to unsighted learners can hear it. Would that be an acceptable solution? 

• Yes - sounds like it would work. Our rule of thumb and 'test' for ourselves is to ask is the experience the same for both sighted and those working with accessibility tools? If yes then we are good to go... if no, what alternative methods can be employed to make sure it is the same experience. And it's done on every slide so we do add that into our effort estimates as well.