Forum Discussion

JohnWilliams-41
Community Member
3 months ago

Map, Hotspots, and Answer Choices

Hey All - 

I am trying to create a map test of the airport that I work at that can be given via our LMS.  Currently, test-takers use a paper map and label over 100 individual items.  These items run from every taxiway and runway to various buildings around the airfield.

I started by importing a map to a hotspot slide but it seems like it is only giving me one answer option when I place a hotspot on the area that I want them to label.  I would like them to be able to click on the hotspot (hopefully outlined) and they fill-in-the-blank but from what I understand, Articulate cannot do this.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can use one map hotspot slide, place hotspot "boxes" where I want the learner to label, and click on it to type in a graded response?

• Storyline doesn't have a standard graded question that scores multiple text entries. However, it's possible to build a custom question slide that does that. 

This is demonstrated in the Pick One question in the attached file. 

• The actual responses to the Pick One question are off the slide. 
    • Triggers check whether each text-entry field has the right answer. If so, that adds to a number variable that tracks the # of correct entries. 
    • Triggers then "select" the appropriate response based on the value of the number variable. 

Note: In this demo, the text entries must be typed with an initial capital letter and with no space afterward. As an alternate, they can also be typed with one space after the name. (In other words, you need "OR" conditions to allow for spelling variations.)

As you'll see, a slide would get quite crowded with entry fields and with triggers if it has 100 options. So I suggest you divvy up the questions (e.g., label taxiways, labels runways, etc.). You might even consider whether the testing for some items (e.g., buildings) would be better as drag-and-drops instead of text-entry. 

Good luck!

JohnWilliams-41
      Community Member

Judy - Thanks!  I will play around with that and see if I can make it work.  At this point, I'm thinking that different "stages" of the map test might be a good idea.  As in... On this map label runways, on the next map label certain taxiways, etc, etc,  That way it doesn't get too convoluted.  

Once again, I GREATLY appreciate the help!