Forum Discussion

DorisChwist-87f
Community Member
2 months ago

More ideas for simulations?

Simulations are a staple in our current training program.  How can it not be when the topics are all based on the scripting in the CMS (Customer Management System)?  But it is getting a bit tedious and I would like to offer something a little more challenging than just using the Try Me mode of screen recordings. I love the work put out by David Anderson!  :-) I thought perhaps his simulation example about Harvest might inspire a bright idea, but I can't get to it.  :-(  

So two questions:  What are brilliant instructional designers doing to teach software focused topics?  I use Storyline 360 if that matters. Where did David's project go?

• Hi Doris,

I work for an LMS company and we use storyline to create software simulations like this one:

https://totara.community/pluginfile.php/75239/mod_scorm/content/27/index_lms.html

These SCORM packages appear at the end of our courses and are used as a 'test me' simulation to assess a users knowledge of how to complete a task in the LMS.

We don't use the default screen recording options in storyline so our simulations are different in a few ways:

1. We build our simulations within scrolling panels so that we can properly simulate the behaviour of a web page.

2. We have added a lives mechanic to the simulation. When a user clicks in the wrong position on the screen the user receives a hint and also loses a life. When a user loses all three lives they will need to restart the section again.

3. We have created a dockable task panel which can be minimised to allow a user to access the screen behind the panel. This allows us to use the full screen for the simulation.

4. We use a hidden quiz and results slide in storyline to allow us to report on the total number of incorrect clicks each user makes in the simulation. We then use this data to report on the average number of incorrect clicks in each of our simulations - so we can see what activities users are struggling with.

• Hi Doris, that was a fun hack in Storyline 2! However, like all hacks, they only work until the software gets updated, and unfortunately, that idea broke with the newer releases.

DorisChwist-87f
      Community Member

That is too funny David. Technology! Keeps us in demand! So are you in the mood to create a new one? I have watched your webinar on Simulations so I am familiar with the tool. You do a great job facilitating learning!