Forum Discussion

JanetNauta
Community Member
10 months ago

Re-taking a course with multiple quizzes

I have a course that has ten quizzes in it. The score of each quiz is not shared with the learner until they are done all quizzes, at which time they get a cumulative mark. If they don't pass cumulatively (they can fail individual quizzes) they have to re-take all questions in all quizzes. The learner is allowed 3 attempts to get a passing grade

The re-try quiz button doesn't work for this scenario so I have set it up so they just re-take the whole course. This basically works, but I can't figure out how to limit their re-takes. I created an Attempts variable and put it as the first trigger on the "Re-take course" button but it keeps allowing unlimited attempts.

Suggestions? 

JHauglie
    Community Member

So you "created an Attempts variable and put it as the first trigger on the "Re-take course" button but it keeps allowing unlimited attempts." Did you also put a trigger based on the value of the Attempts variable once it hits a certain threshold? 

So the first trigger sets the Attempts variable to a value of '1' by adding '1' to its present value. If the trigger is encountered a second time, that would also add '1' - therefore it would have a value >/2. 

Now you need a second trigger that redirects the user or ends the course attempts based on that higher value: (advance to [whatever slide] if Attempts is >/2). So the user won't get more than one additional attempt.

You have the trigger in the correct place (the Re-Take course button) but now you need to tell that button where to take the learner when he or she clicks it. And you may need a layer to help, too.

Make sense?

JanetNauta
    Community Member

Here are the triggers I currently have:

• Add value 1 to Attempts when the user clicks Retry Button
    • Show layer Out of Tries when the user clicks Retry Button if Attempts = value 2
    • Restart course when the user clicks Retry Button if attempts < value 2

What am I missing?

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi Janet, 

It would be much easier for the community to fix your project file if they could have a copy of it for testing. That way, we can review your triggers to see why the number of attempts isn't properly being tracked.

Would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case for testing? We'll delete it when we're done!

JanetNauta
        Community Member

Hi, Thanks for following up Jose. Here is my Test course - I have changed many things in an attempt to get it to work, so I think it has become quite confusing! Hope you can give me some tips.