Forum Discussion

AlishaKlatt-1ca
Community Member
3 months ago

Recommendations to Support Accessible Text Spacing and Scrollbars with Storyline Quizzes and Markers?

We’re enhancing Storyline 360 courses to meet WCAG 2.1 Level AA standards, including keyboard accessibility and text spacing. Even with the latest version of Storyline 360, we’ve found scrollbars for answer choices and marker titles often aren’t keyboard accessible.

Our workaround involves adjusting font size and text box placement to avoid scrollbars, publishing to Review 360, enabling the Accessible Text setting on the course player, and using a Chrome extension like Text Spacing Editor to test each slide. This process usually requires readjusting the text boxes, republishing, and retesting several times.

We're wondering if others have a different workflow they could recommend? We'd welcome any suggestions. Thank you!

• Hello Alisha,

Happy to help! I appreciate you finding ways to meet your requirements with the text boxes.

Are you using Upgraded Project Text in your Storyline courses? If so, right-click the answer choices textboxes in your quizzes and select Format Shape >> Text Box. Choose "Fixed size" and "Allow text to overflow" so that scroll bars will not appear. Please see this article and screenshot for details:

The Text Box formatting tab is turned off for Markers, so you cannot choose these options now. We are gathering votes for a request to enable this feature for Markers. Let me know if you'd like to be added to this feature request.

If you have additional comments on why you need this Markers feature related to your use case, feel free to share them so I can update the report.

• Thanks for the suggestion, Eric! I am using Upgraded Project Text. I'll try text overflow for the answer option text boxes and check if it works better when we apply accessible text and text spacing. 

Regarding Marker titles, in my testing I've seen scrollbars appear when I apply accessible text and text spacing. This happens even if the marker titles are only size 12 font. I'd like to be added to this feature request for future updates.

Thanks again,

Alisha

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Alisha!

Thanks for following up! Glad to see Eric has been helping you!

I've shared your feedback with our product team and will update this discussion if this feature makes it to our Feature Roadmap. Have a great rest of your week!