Forum Discussion

JamieBarrier-e8
Community Member
3 months ago

Record Mic in Articulate Storyline- Always cuts off first few seconds of recorded audio

I am new to Articulate Storyline and am trying to record audio for each slide. I am finding that every audio recording that I do, Storyline "fades" the audio in for the first second or two. For example, if I say "this is my audio recording," the words "this is" will not be heard. It is so frustrating. I have tried multiple microphones and it does not make a difference. I have not been able to find any setting that controls this. I have left several seconds of recorded silence before I begin speaking, and it makes no difference. Has anyone encountered this? 

• This happens to me too and while I don't have a technical suggestion for you...I find that if I say a couple of nonsense words before my actual audio needed, then my audio comes out fine and I delete the nonsense words. I have found that saying "Hey there" gives me the reflection I need to move into my real audio. For example: "Hey there! Click the checkbox to initiate the process" then delete "Hey there". Tedious but works.

JHauglie
    Community Member

You may have better success using a standalone audio program such as Audacity. (It's free and has more capabilities than you may ever need or use.) Record the audio, export it as an *.mp4 or *.mp3 format, insert the clip. Done.

• I too am having this issue and the trouble is that it's sporadic and hard to nail down. I've tried the suggestion of using nonsense words and cutting them out but it makes no difference.

• I'm a big fan of using a program like Audacity for my audio. It gives me so much more control of the audio and you can set up some automation for editing. It is an extra step but having good quality audio (especially when people are using earbuds) is crucial. Mouth noises and unwanted background noise are so much more obvious and annoying with headphones or earbuds.