Forum Discussion

LindseyHowell
Community Member
4 months ago

Replay - Published MP4 has audio but no visual, just blank screen

Hi all,

Since Christmas I have had issues using Replay. We record sessions on Zoom and use the MP4 file to import into Replay, crop the beginning and end of the video (sometimes sections in the middle), then publish as an MP4 file. Very minor editing therefore and occasionally I might change the volume, but again nothing major. I then insert this file into Rise.

Previously, this worked without issue and there were no problems with the final MP4 file. But since Christmas I have been unable to get the majority of our videos to work. I am using the exact same laptop, with exactly the same settings, and using Zoom files in exactly the same way.

In Replay, the changes I am making are reflected in what I see on the screen and both the audio and visual elements work perfectly.  I then publish as an MP4 file.  In the published MP4, the audio plays exactly as I have cropped it, but the screen is blank throughout the recording.  At the beginning of the year I searched the help forums and found that renaming files can affect the output, so I now keep the original file titles. This didn't solve the problem and I had to switch to cropping it in Storyline, which is vastly inferior to Replay for this.

On Wednesday (29 May), my first attempt at a video for several months worked perfectly first time, so I assumed the problem had been fixed. The second video I edited on the same day – in exactly the same way - reverted to the same issue. I again searched the help forums and, based on various support and user responses, have tried the following:-

- Checked that hardware acceleration is enabled - it is, file attached

- Checked for updates on video driver – is already up to date

- Inserted content before video recording in case screen size was an issue (even though working from Zoom file and not screen capture)

- Used naming convention identical to published videos that had been successful

-Tried using VLC media player to play MP4 file rather than Windows Media Player – issue same on both

- Repaired Replay (uninstalled, restarted laptop, reinstalled)

Can you please advise what else I can try?  I don’t understand how the same laptop and software can suddenly stop working, especially when the project in Replay is working correctly.  The Zoom files are also recorded by the same two people in the same ways. If it had stopped working permanently it would also make more sense than the two videos on Wednesday producing completely different results.

• Hi Lindsey,

Sorry to hear that you ran into this issue. 

I wanted to share that there is an open issue in Replay 360 where the resulting video output is blank if you insert a video with large dimensions and a picture in the project. If you're adding an image file to your Replay 360 project, removing it before publishing should correct the behavior. 

If you're not placing any images on your project, try repairing your Replay 360 installation to see if this fixes the issue. If the problem persists after performing the troubleshooting steps, please open a case with our support team here so we can check what's causing the video output to be blank.