Forum Discussion

ChristineHou558
Community Member
3 months ago

Rise 360: Quiz Continue button leads to blank screen

Hello, 

Hoping someone can help us troubleshoot an issue with are having when the learner clicks the Continue button after a Rise quiz, where a blank screen appears.

This issue presents when the learner has failed quiz attempt 1 and then passed quiz attempt 2. The continue button correctly shows with the pass on attempt 2, however, consistently leads to a blank screen when clicked. Despite the blank screen, the course result successfully passed to the LMS as passed and when reload the resume state loads at the next lesson. 

Note: the quiz settings in this course are a bit unique. This course is set to allow only two attempts, with Quiz Retries are set to 1 in the Quiz settings.

• If fail on attempt two the quiz is locked, and the course remains in 'Incomplete' status on LMS for tutor follow-up. (as expected)
  • If pass on attempt 1 the continue button successfully navigates to the Summary slide. (as expected)
  • If fail attempt 1 and then passe attempt 2, results are correctly captured however, the only issue is Continue button loads to a blank screen. 

FYI: We have tried all the various Tracking options (in Publish settings), which all work.  This issue is purely the user experience re becoming stuck on the 'blank' screen and confusion re don't need to actually do anything.

We have tried simply deleting the Summary slide and the continue button, however, this is not preferred way to end the course. 

Thanks in advance if you have any ideas what might be cause the behaviour or other options to remedy.  

Christine

• Just a few updates on above information:

• Just to confirm, when get blank screen the passing result does not pass back to LMS. i.e. remains Incomplete. Need to re-enter and exit for result to load. (i.e. resume state opens to next lesson). 
    • blank screen appears after 2 attempts: both if fail then pass; and if do 2 passes in a row. (i.e. quiz attempt 1 pass, retry button, quiz attempt 2 pass, continue = blank screen). 
    AriffK
    Community Member

I'm getting this too but when my internet connection is unreliable. what LMS are you using? I am on Moodle 4.4+ and my courses are exported to LMS as SCORM 1.2 files.

From this thread it would seem likely cause by an LMS setting where your course is reaching its suspend limit. I'm currently debugging and testing other options

• I am having this issue as well. SCORM 1.2 packages. Chrome and Edge browsers. SuccessFactors LMS. Tracking: Track using course completion = 100%. Reporting: Passed/Incomplete (which always works for us). 

My quiz is lesson 6 out of 7 lessons. Unlimited tries.

• When testing on our LMS testing platform. I go through the quiz once and fail or pass (doesn't matter, it turns out), then retry a second time and pass.
    • When I select the Continue button, I get a blank screen.
    • I have to close the course by selecting the top-right X icon. When I relaunch, I'm on the Lesson 7 page.
    • There is no issue when I go through the quiz once and pass the first time.

I've attached images to show what I am seeing with various test scenarios on Edge and Chrome.

I cannot release this course in this state and I do not think it's caused by any kind of unreliable internet issue because I can reproduce it every time. Hoping the Articulate team will take a look at it and help me understand the root cause. (I have submitted a support case.) 

KellyAuner
      Staff

Hi Karen,

I see you've already opened a case and are working with my teammate, Mick. We can continue the conversation there to keep all information in one place!

KarenEck-b17534
      Community Member

Update: I tweaked my Rise 360 course to see if the change below would help. 

• I altered the quiz settings in Lesson 6 so that Continue Button Style = Standard Next Lesson (in the previous version, Continue Button Style was set to Continue), and on our SuccessFactors LMS, I was able to navigate from L6 to L7 using the Standard Next Lesson button.
      • There was *no issue* with the blank page appearing. I did not have to quit and relaunch in order to access L7, the final lesson. 
      • To me, that implies there is an issue with the Continue Button functionality within the quiz.

HOWEVER: I now have a different problem, also related to going through the quiz more than once: the course completion percentage does not behave as expected when you go through the quiz more than once, and the course thus won’t mark as complete in the LMS unless you do something non-intuitive.

Details:

• When you go through the course, you see the completion percentages in the top part of the Navigation menu: L1: 14%, L2: 29%, […] L6: 86% (after doing the quiz twice and passing the second time), and L7: 88%.
      • I don’t find this logical, because L7 is the final lesson. I would have expected it to mark as 100% at that point.
      • If you exit the course at that point, from L7, the course will not mark as complete, because I’ve set Track using course completion = 100%.
      • Here is where the non-intuitive part comes in:
        • The course completion percentage only shows as 100% if you: (a) relaunch the course, (b) return to L7, (c) navigate “up” to L6 using the “standard previous lesson” button at the top of the page….
        • And you have to do those exact steps. I thought perhaps I just had to leave L7 in order for it to show completion = 100% (i.e., navigate to any other lesson), but that is not the case.

NOTE: If you do the L6 quiz once and pass, and move on to L7, L7 = 100%. There are no issues.

I’m thinking of setting “Track using course completion” to 88% as a workaround, but I don’t love this solution.

UPDATE (2024-07-04): I set “Track using course completion” to 86% as a workaround (because the previous version of my course was showing 86% complete at the top of the final L7 page and 88% complete at the bottom). On our testing LMS: (a) It now shows 86% at the top of the final L7 page, and 100% at the bottom [that is new]. (b) It marks as complete when I exit the course, whether I exit from the top of the final page or the bottom of the final page (understandable, since completion is set to 86%), but I'm fine with that.

It's not an ideal solution, because I would have preferred to use the CONTINUE button rather than the Standard Next Lesson button at the bottom of the quiz (to match the look and feel of the rest of the course), and I would have preferred to have had the “Track using course completion” setting at 100%, but I need to get this course out.

I look forward to hearing more about the root cause and solution. :)  

• Hi Ariff, Karen

It does sound very similar. I am a colleague of Christine's and also stymied.

Our organisation requires that we use Microsoft Edge as our default browser. Our LMS is a customisable Learner Experience Platform (LXP), or something that is somewhere between the two (LMS:LXP)

We are publishing to SCORM1.2 as well, and have tried any number of combinations regarding the tracking and reporting settings, but the issue of the blank page remains.  When Attempt 1 is Fail, but Attempt 2 is Passed, the blank page is presented - even if Attempt 1 is Passed, and we use the Try again prompt, and Attempt 2 is also Passed, the blank page is the next action.  We tried changing the Track by Quiz results which still presented a blank page, but at least the results were captured by the LMS if the Learner exited prematurely by closing the tab or browser.  We even tried removing the final "lesson" which simply advised the Learner that the course was complete, and kept the Track by Quiz results as the trigger for completion, but even this setting seemed to be confusing from the Learner perspective, as there was no longer a prompt to leave the eLearning (Exit Course).

Unfortunately, at this time, we see no other option than to (re)create the content in StoryLine and use the advanced Quiz settings and higher controls available, to manage the multiple attempt scenario. At least this way, we can then use the Reporting of Passed/Failed in our LMS.  

Thanks for contributing

Jennine

KarlMuller
      Community Member

We are experiencing the same problem, but only with recently published courses. 

Problem:

We are publishing to SCORM1.2

When Quiz Attempt 1 is Fail, but Attempt 2 is Passed, the blank page is presented.

Edit: We have looked into this is more detail, and the version of the course published 21 June 2024 works perfectly.

The version published today (only difference is correcting a spelling mistake) now has this problem. Nothing else has changed.

Note: Our LMS allows us to republish a newer version of a course over an existing version, as long was we don't change the course structure by adding or deleting Lessons.

We suspect that the Rise update released June 26, 2024 is causing this problem.

KarlMuller
    Community Member

Hi Karen,

Your entire personal email signature was posted to the forum.

• Had this issue with a live course. Currently we had quiz attempts set to 3.  Current work around is changing to unlimited attempts on the quiz. Would still like to get back to having fixed attempts. Keen to hear other solutions or diagnoses of the issue.