Forum Discussion

DEBASHISDEBN167
Community Member
2 months ago

SCORM files with results and score and expiry date

URGENT!!
Hi everyone,

I’m reaching out to see if anyone has experience with editing SCORM files to implement features such as results, scores, or expiry dates. Specifically, I’m interested in whether this can be done with files created in Articulate Rise and Storyline.

If you have insights or tips on how to achieve this, or if you know of any tools or methods that might help, I’d greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
DevD

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Debashis,
    Im a little confused by your question, so to clear it up for anyone else who might be able to help - when you say "editing scorm files to implement results, scores & expiry dates", what exactly do you mean?

Storyline (and Rise) create the SCORM files for you, and will automatically handle things like tracking, reporting, scores, num of attempts, date of pass/fail.
    I've never had the need to go back in to a published packaged SCORM file and edit it manually. Infact, the imsmanifest.xml file file is so well handled by Storyline that Ive only ever had to edit it when adding in an external JS library or WO HTML5 applet.

So, Im wondering if it isnt better for you to open the project in Storyline or Rise, and create the SCORM file from there?

P.S. for course "expiry", this isnt something Storyline or Rise do out of the box. Infact, I dont think its even a SCORM standard thing either.
    When my clients have had to use this in the past, it is a setting on their LMS that uses the SCORM date passed value, and applies a duration to this to work out when the course expires for any specific user. But this is all on the LMS, not the SCORM file.

• Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have the .story file and will handle tracking, reporting, scores, number of attempts, and the date of pass/fail within that file. I’ll then republish it as SCORM. Summarizing my points with actionable sources. Please reply with more insights and reference.

Tracking: Okay.
    Reporting: Okay.

Score: Are you referring to the results slide? Is the score captured by the LMS?

Number of Attempts: How is this restriction set? Is it done within the LMS?

Date of Pass/Fail: Where is this information recorded? Is it captured by the LMS?

Thank you.

DevD

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hey Debashis,

I think I understand better now, thank you.
    So you need a bit more information of how exactly these SCORM aspects and settings work?
    No problem :)

TRACKING OPTIONS:
    (When the learner has viewed / When the learner completes a quiz / Using triggers)
    The key thing to remember here is that selecting more than one option here does not mean the user will be marked as complete only when BOTH options are true. No, its actually when the first one becomes true.
    eg.
    In your example above, you have selected both When the learner completes a quiz, and Using triggers.
    So your user will be marked as Complete when either they complete the quiz (achieving a passing score) or if they arrive at a slide with the "Complete Course" trigger.

In other words, they are marked as completed right away when either of these things happen.

SCORE:
    Whatever score the user gets (even if it doesnt pass) will be sent to the LMS as long as you are using SCORM 1.2, 2004 or xAPI.
    The SCORE can also be used to mark a course as PASSED. To do this, you need to set the Passing Score setting. This is done within the Results slide OPTIONS inside Storyline.

NUMBER OF ATTEMPTS:
    Again, this is set within the Results slide of Storyline.
    NOTE - there is a specific setting for each question in Storyline so that you can set the number of Attempts. This is different than what you mean within the Results sent to an LMS.
    The specific question Attempts setting, only means the user will have a certain number of retries on that specific question before it is permanently marked "Incorrect".

To set the number of attempts of a RESULTS slide, you need to set this up manually using variables and triggers. If done correctly this will now restrict the user so that they can only attempt a failed Results slide a certain number of times.

This Number of Attempts of a Results slide will only be sent and stored in an LMS if using SCORM 2004 (3rd/4th edition) or xAPI.

DATE OF PASS/FAIL:
    Storyline will automatically pass out both the Session Time and Total Time values in SCORM 1.2, 2004 and xAPI.

The completion date is usually handled specifically by the LMS and isnt something Storyline has exposure to, and therefore not something we can directly set within a Storyline project.

Does that help at all? :)

• Thank you for the insights. They’ve been really useful for me.

One last question: If I don’t set or require a passing score in the SCORM package, say 80%, will the SCORM package still transfer the score to the LMS even if the learner doesn't achieve 80%?

AndrewHanley
      Community Member

Absolutely. The score will be sent regardless.
      It just wont be used for any PASS/FAIL or completion criteria.

BeverleyFerguso
        Community Member

Hey @andrew

New to Articulate products but had a somewhat related question to the above and wondered if you might be able to help, please. 

Is there a specific setting or set-up needed when creating a course in Rise 360 or Storyline to ensure the score is passed to the LMS? 

I'm looking at an example file (SCORM 1.2) that has a knowledge check/quiz included in it, but after taking the quiz, the score value still shows as "" when I debug the raw data... I can see the individual interactions and outcomes for these, but no score is being provided Rise 360 for core_score_raw