Forum Discussion

IlianaBaez
Community Member
3 months ago

Spinning Wheel

The amazing Joanne Chen shared her spinning wheel story, which I used as a template for my own spinning wheel introducing terms and acronyms. I tried to incorporate a layer which allows me to randomize a second number when the wheel lands on a duplicate. However, I am finding two things:

1) when you land on a higher number the duplicate layer flashes before showing the correct layer. How do I avoid this?

2) I can't find a way to avoid duplicating a number multiple times. Due to this, I believe learners will become frustrated trying to complete the game. I don't know java so I can't write up a script that would avoid this (which I think is the solution).

Any help offered would be great! The story file is attached below.

• If you are determined to prevent reusing already chosen options, here is a sample to think about. It is a click and drop, which is not what you are using, but for the shuffle function to work, it has to avoid reusing previously chosen options.  Both scenes look the same when run.

Scene 1 shuffles the answers using only SL triggers. Note the number and complexity of triggers needed to prevent duplicates. As you add choices, that number will grow, probably exponentially. Additionally, with the number of options you have, there will probably be long delays as the triggers sort through options, looking for unused ones.

Scene 2 uses javascript to sort, then deliver the options without duplicates or long delays. As you suspect, JS is the solution. You can adapt the script in scene two, and I think it will serve you.

Sorry, but I don't have the time right now to adapt it for your purpose.

LizCheung
    Community Member

Were you able to figure this out? I'm having the same issues of trying to avoid duplicates.