Forum Discussion

matking
Community Member
3 years ago

Storyline is constantly crashing

I'm getting the error "Your system appears to be low on memory". My computer has tons of free memory though. I have no idea what the problem is but it's been happening for as long as I've had this new Dell PC. Am i the only one having this issue?

I have to save after every keystroke in fear of a crash. 

• Hi, Mat.

I see you have a support case with my teammate Mick. I'll add your recent comments to the case, and we'll get back to you with additional instructions so we can continue troubleshooting!

StaceyFeindt
    Community Member

If you have the graphics card: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics, that is likely your issue. That's what was identified to be my issue. There is a "memory leak" because the graphics card is essentially faulty. My layman's understanding is that the graphics card holds things in memory that it should be letting go of, so while you should have enough memory, you really don't. Not sure why this is called a memory leak. Google the phrases, "Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics memory leak" or "Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics crashing" and you will see that for devices that have this specific graphics card, the issue is not Storyline, rather it is the graphics card. Intel proposes updating drivers, but that hasn't worked for me. Articulate gives a possible workaround where you create "thumbnails" (which doesn't make any sense to me), but again, that idea doesn't work. In sum, any huge memory hog, like Storyline, will crash due to this graphics card issue. The folks at Articulate know about this, not sure why they aren't issuing a wider notice than this hard-to-find article, https://articulate.com/support/article/Storyline-Memory-Leaks-When-Using-Machines-With-Intel-Iris-Xe-Graphics