Forum Discussion

higherl
Community Member
7 months ago

Submit Answer button not getting enabled after Retry

Attached, is my storyline file.

After retrying the quiz, I am able to select my answers on Q1, but the Submit Answer button is not getting enabled.

Also, on another quiz I have, there is a text entry question. After retrying that quiz, the previous answer is still appearing. It's not getting reset.

Not sure if both issues have to do with the "When Revisiting:" option. I do have a Review button, so that option needs to be "Resume Saved State" or "Automatically Decide". If I remove the Review button and change the questions to "Reset to Initial State", it works perfectly fine.

• At the moment, I can't look at your file. However, I suggest you set all question slides to "Automatically Decide" when revisiting. That lets Storyline use the appropriate option for reviewing (which needs the states saved) and retrying (which needs the states reset).

higherl
    Community Member

I tried that option also and it still doesn't work.

• On the first question, you have a trigger that changes your custom Submit button to Normal with the "limit" variable = 3.

However, when the learner returns to that question to retry the assessment, the variable already equals 3. As they select items, the variable increases from 3. It can get back to 3 if they deselect an item. Otherwise, the variable keeps increasing, so it's beyond 3, and the trigger won't run. 

You can fix that be resetting the variable before the user returns to the question with the Retry button.

Note: You'll also need to reset the variables that control which items show on the 2nd question. Otherwise, when the user retries the assessment, the items they choose in the previous and current attempt will be available. 

I didn't see my previous answer reappear when I retried. 

higherl
    Community Member

Thank you very much! That works.

Could you please also help me with the 3rd question? I can't seem to get the text entries to reset.

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

As I said in my previous comment, I don't see the previous answer in the text-entry field when I retry to the quiz. It does reset, even with the "Resume saved state" setting that's in the file you posted. 

higherl
    Community Member

Unfortunately, the textentry is still reappearing for me on retry. What trigger do I set for that and I guess it matters what order it's in?

higherl
    Community Member

Ok. I figured out how to reset the textentry boxes, but now I have a new issue. After reviewing the quiz, the answers are no longer appearing. The slide is set to resume saved state. Also tried it with automatically decide.

• Hi Paktolus LV,

I tested the original file that you uploaded and it looks like the answers are being saved when a learner reviews the quiz, so it looks like something may have been changed in the most recent version of your course which cause the new issue that you're seeing. 

Would you be willing to share a copy of your updated project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a look at the changes? We'll delete it when we're done testing!