Forum Discussion

MelindaSantosQu
Community Member
2 years ago

Uploaded PDFs no longer open in a new tab - what happened?!

I have an online PDF Library that I've created in Rise, and I use the unique links that each uploaded PDF is assigned to hyperlink and embed these files into other courses.  As of today, anytime I add a new doc to my PDF Library, it no longer opens in a new window with a unique link, it just automatically downloads, and this is no bueno for me.

Did the settings in Rise recently change to have PDFs automatically download, as opposed to opening automatically in a new tab with a unique link?  If so, I need a way to turn it back into a link that opens in a new tab - otherwise I'll have issues with every course that I've hyperlinked these docs to.  Thank you.

• Good news, everyone! We fixed the issue where PDF files in attachment blocks wouldn't open in a new tab automatically for previewing. Please have a look at your PDF files in attachment blocks, and let us know if you run into any further issues!

• I also checked my Chrome settings and it is already set to open PDFs in Chrome, and still does do so for all of my older uploaded PDFs in Multimedia Attachment blocks....but not any new ones from the last few days.

AngeloCruz
      Staff

Hi Melinda! Thanks for reaching out.

I see you've opened a support case and that Mcgem has been helping you isolate the issue.

Have you tested the link he shared? Feel free to reply back to your email conversation and let him know how it behaves on your end.

• Hello,

I am having the exact same issue.  Previously when clicking on an attachment block that has a pdf uploaded the pdf would open in a separate browser tab with a unique URL (i.e. https://articulateusercontent.com/rise/courses/AXgw5Moq5odZzzYWwAqOsTychYg46Kry/v-sfl_wS9cVgLEtv-GMA-POL-23%2520v2.0%2520approved%2520with%2520effective%2520date.pdf)  Now when I click the attachment block it downloads the pdf instead of opening a new browser tab with the document.  I have tried in both Chrome & Edge and checked the settings of both browsers and they are set to open pdf in the browser. 

GrenForonda
      Staff

Hi Michelle!

We've been able to notice the behavior change when clicking the Attachment block as well, where the PDF file gets downloaded instead of being opened in a new browser tab.

We've shared this with our team, and we'll keep this thread posted on any updates that can help!

MelindaSantosQu
      Community Member

Hi Michelle,  the latest I've heard from Articulate support is that the "issue appears to be directly related to an existing bug that affects the filenames of attachments in Rise."  They'll inform me when the bug is fixed and I'll share updates to this thread as I learn more. 

• Good news, everyone! We fixed the issue where PDF files in attachment blocks wouldn't open in a new tab automatically for previewing. Please have a look at your PDF files in attachment blocks, and let us know if you run into any further issues!