Forum Discussion

ShaynaShaffer-b
Community Member
2 months ago

Variable Issues?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues with the Text variable input? Both me and my coworker have an interaction requiring specific numbers/text entry to move along, and we are finding with one variable that requires number entry of 11:00am (with all triggers set properly and we deleted and recreated to try and fix) that it will not show the layer/slide we program to show. It seems like something is wrong with number entry in variable use and just seeing if anyone else is experiencing this too?

• I'm not clear about what's wrong. Your first sentence refers to a "Text variable input." Then you say the problem with "with one variable that requires number entry of 11:00 am."  However, "11:00am" isn't a number.

• If it is a number-entry field, the learner won't be able to enter "11:00am."
    • It if is a text-entry field, the learner should be able to enter "11:00am." They will have to enter that exact text, without any spaces. Or you'll have to use trigger conditions to allow minor variations (for example "11:00 am") to show the layer.

In cases like this, troubleshooting is just guessing without seeing the .story file. If you upload it, someone might be able to solve the issue.

Here are the best practices for uploading a .story file:

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
    • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
    • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “ipsum lorem” text.
      ShaynaShaffer-b
      Community Member

OK so this is what we are doing: we have a form with 4 variable text input entries. One is a time entry so they need to enter 11:00 am and we ARE using the text input variable because it has numbers, text and a special character in it (11:00am).

Now when we test entering incorrectly on any other variable entries (one is Hazcom, one is pass, one is a name of somebody and then the 11:00 am entry field) we will see the incorrect layer ONLY if we do the other fields wrong and 11:00 am right.

When we do the 11:00 am entry wrong, we are not taken to the incorrect layer.

Additionally, I have this same problem on another course that has the number 1 used in the Text Entry variable input (and I use this instead of the number entry always). I hope this helps!

We recreated the triggers, checked them several times (all are set right) and still same issue.