Articulate 360 Peek Window issues

Feb 01, 2017

I apologize is this is covered elsewhere, but I didn't see it if it is. I have dual monitors because I find it easier to develop that way (pull up material in Word on one screen, copy into Storyline on the other). The Peek screen recorder seems to be a bit confused by that. When I try to record something, the "window" that shows up is about four inches from the screen I choose.

For example, if I choose "full screen" of the monitor on my left, it puts the red box mostly in the middle of the two monitors instead of fully over the left side. I am posting a screen shot of where the window goes on this page for an example (attached). The weird thing is that it will record the screen as if it is in the proper place (though does record the line of record box itself). If I move it with the move crosshairs to cover the window fully over the where I want it, it does not record correctly (it acts offcenter). I've tried playing with various things in Properties to see if it is a "compatability" thing, but haven't found an answer yet. Anyone have any ideas?

80 Replies
Daniella Perlman

Hi, I've run into this issue as well. Two external monitors on Windows 10.

Whether I select to record the full screen or a specific window, the red box appears in the wrong place, split between two screens. I've attached a screenshot of what happened when I manually resized it and then tried to record. 

It looks as though the resolution is the same. I tried reconnecting the additional monitors but that didn't do anything. It works fine when they are disconnected, but I really need two monitors for what I'm doing. 

This isn't an issue with either Replay or Storyline 360 (although using Replay my mouse is in the wrong place. Storyline there is no problem). 

Can I get a little help? Storyline is my least favorite way of recording my screen and right now that's my only option. 

Lauren Connelly

Hi Twanica!

I can see how this is frustrating! I'm sorry this has been such a hassle trying to use Peek on two monitors! This bug has been reported to our team and we are continuing to track the user impact. We'll respond if we hear of an update!

You're right! This community is quite amazing! It's because of people like you who continue sharing tips, asking questions, and keeping us updated on what is important to users! Thanks for taking the time to share!

Nichole Dinato

I'm having this issue as of today, years after this thread was started. (see my test run video attached for proof/example of issue)

It is unrealistic to tell people to disconnect their second monitor, as so many office set ups have this now and most of us need it to do our jobs properly (including having a script on the other screen). Just wanted to come in and update that this is still an issue, and a big one at that.

I love Articulate products when they work, but their inability or unwillingness to fix longstanding issues is a huge problem considering the price tag for 360.

Anton Noffke

I agree with Nicole, in fact I am very annoyed with Articulate for not addressing this age old problem, perhaps they are not getting the message, we need to shout louder at them in a non threatening constructive way.

I personally have given up with Peek and use another app that works very well.

Katie Riggio

Greetings, Maryam!

So sorry you're facing this. We're continuing to monitor this behavior, so I've shared your experience in our report.

In the meantime, what Scale and Layout setting are you using? Here's how to check and change this setting:

1. Right-click your desktop and select Display settings.
  2. Click the Display tab in the upper left corner of the window that appears.
  3. Under Scale and layout, select 100% (recommended value) from the drop-down list.

Let me know if you see a difference when recording in Peek 360 again!

Darlene Williamson

I am new to Articulate 360 and am just learning Peek 360 today.

Is there a fix for this dual screen issue? I'm having the same issues that the previous users on this thread experienced. When I am using dual screens, Peek gets confused, and the Peek preview pane gets caught up somewhere in between them. When I record, I get half of my image.

Thank you,

Darlene

Katie Riggio

Hi Darlene!

Thanks for your update and for reaching out to our Support team! It looks like Robert's tips did the trick:

Let’s try these suggestions:

A) Make sure that ‘video hardware acceleration’ is enabled on your PC: https://articulate.fyi/2kIP5hi

B) Repair Peek. Here's how: https://articulate.fyi/2zWOUEw

C) Check and install Windows update: https://articulate.fyi/3c6TtwZ

So glad to hear this, and we are here if you have any more questions!

Ashley Kavanagh

I realize this is an old thread but I am having the same issue.  When I have 2 monitors, the application I select to record is skewed. 

I disconnected my 2nd monitor and I have the same problem.  I went ahead and recorded anyway and used hotkeys to stop the recording.  That worked, but the problem then became the recording captured the red outline that peek said it was recording, even though it was skewed (image attached).

I'm using Windows 10

Katie Riggio

Hello Ashley,

Thanks for that screenshot, and I'm happy to jump in! 

Since disconnecting the second monitor didn't help, could you try adjusting your Display Settings and Scale and layout settings to 100%?

We heard that resolves the issue for most folks, but let us know if Peek 360 is still giving you trouble. We're here to help! 

Pete Lewis

I am having these issues as well, have done all of the recommended display changes to troubleshoot. In the recording selection dialog, I noticed that the desktops are both previewed shrunken and off center - as they would end up recording (screenshot below, I've added yellow marks to note where the blue line would be when the other desktop is selected).

Any attempts to manually correct this result in the mouse cursor being offset - which makes the screen recording useless for creating on-screen documentation.