Adding Hyperlinks to a course in Rise

Apr 25, 2019

Hi - I'm just starting out with Rise and I'm creating a course that has links to various external websites for extra help on the topic.

Can I do this in Rise or do I need to create the page in Storyline and then add it to the course?

Thanks Vicky

16 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Vicky,

Within Rise you have the ability to link to external web sites or other lessons within your course either through a Button block or a Button Stack block:

You can also create a link to an external web site from within a Text block by highlighting the relevant text, right clicking and then selecting the Insert Link option:

Adam Keld

Hi 

I completed a new on boarding course using rise, i have placed links within the course to our website and intranet. i have trialed this on our LMS, the problem is when the link takes me to the site I can not just close the window and continue with my course unlike when i trialed it in preview. Am I missing a trick?, help please.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Adam!

It sounds like the hyperlink opens in a new tab while previewing in Rise, but it open in the same window when hosted on your LMS -- is that right?

RIse does not control how hyperlinks are opened, but here are a couple of things you can try:

• Generally, the web browser will control if hyperlinks open in the same window or in a new tab, so be sure you're testing in the same web browser in both scenarios.
  • Your LMS may also have a feature to allow you more control over hyperlinks, so reach out to your LMS admin to find out if you have that option.
Coaching  Edge UK

Hi Alyssa,

Just reading through the above trail and have a related question. I want to add links to external examples of sport on Youtube or occasionally to external websites. 

Firstly I tried embedding the video which would have been ideal but many of the sites (including some on YouTube) are preventing watching embedded videos unless you leave the Rise package to view on Youtube or their sites. 

Next I tried link to external websites with a description then a link. Again, it takes the viewer away from the course. My question is, if this happens, how does the learner get back to the course easily?

Many thanks,

Alistair

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Alistair! 

YouTube prevents their videos from being displayed in a frame in Rise 360, so it's best to hyperlink to the video instead of embedding it.

When learners click the hyperlink, the video should open in a new browser tab. They can easily navigate back to the Rise 360 course by toggling tabs at the top of the browser window. 

Karl Muller

Hi Justine,

The two types of Button Block can be found in the block library in the Interactive category.

Whether or not you are able to link to your company SharePoint page depends on a number of factors. 

Firstly, you need to be logged into your company network to access your SharePoint page.

Secondly, where are you hosting your Rise courses? If you are hosting your Rise courses within your company firewall, theoretically you should be able to link to documents on your company SharePoint. 

If you are hosting your Rise courses outside your company firewall, e.g. within a LMS, the chances are that you will not be able to access your SharePoint site.

You will need to conduct some test to see what works.

Lea Agato

Hi Miranda,

Here's how you can add a hyperlink to your course:

• highlight your text
  • right-click
  • click on the Insert Link button
  • paste your URL.

It understand you're looking to host your Rise course in Microsoft Stream. It looks like Microsoft Stream is used for hosting videos, and these are the files supported files that you can add.  As such, it isn't possible to host your Rise course in Microsoft Stream. Here's how you can share your Rise courses with your learners. I hope this helps!

Greg Younger

Glad I found this thread; it answered my question just when I needed it. BUT! a follow-up: is there a way to ensure that the link opens in a new window so the learner doesn't inadvertently navigate away from the course? If not, how do I submit a feature request? Pretty surprising if this isn't already a capability I just haven't figured out yet... Thanks!

Jose Tansengco

Hello Greg, 

The behavior to open a link in either a new tab or window is entirely controlled by the browser. You'll need to reach out to your IT staff to see if they can modify this behavior for you.

Additionally, I found this official Microsoft forum where some contributors shared instructions on how this can be changed to your reference.