Cursor Jumping when I hit spacebar in Rise

Oct 05, 2023

I am starting a new thread given it's six years after the conversation I found this morning. I recorded what was happening - I have restarted my computer and also in my Rise course, selected preview a number of times to try and clear it. It's super frustrating because I type quickly and it's jumping around.

I recorded what's happening and would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

16 Replies
Andreas Kuswara

I am also experiencing the same issue, not just the spacebar. The issue appears to be random, and I have noticed that even copying and pasting text into RISE can cause a jump. 

When I try to delete text by highlighting several words and hitting the delete button, then start typing, I often experience sudden disappearance of my typed text, and the old text reappears as if I had hit the 'undo' button. 

Furthermore, sometimes the deleted text reappears without any further typing. For instance, I would select some words, hit delete, and the text disappears, but after a while, the text reappears and then disappears again. This happens even when I keep my hands off the keyboard. 

Gerard McAteer

This issue has been happening for a few days now and it is so frustrating. Along with the jumping cursor I am also finding that with the tab and accordion blocks that when adding return spaces, they seem to get deleted when you go to preview and back to edit again. The only way I have been able to make it work is to add three returns, using the up arrow key and then use the backspace button to delete the extra returns.   

Alison Harden

Hi Gerard, no the only update I received was when I eventually logged a ticket and they said they would see if it's a bug (it definitely must have been a bug!!). 

Having said that, because I needed to make progress with my course, I went in yesterday to test if it was still behaving the same way and it seems to be fixed. So I'm not very impressed that they didn't let us all know via this forum or even via my ticket. Oh well!

Gerard McAteer

Thank you for replying Alison, I have been using Rise all week and there are still the odd occasion where the cursor jumps. The main culprit is when you add the accordion block and you click on the main title to change or edit an existing one. Once you start to type the cursor jumps to the end on the sentence! The only way I have found to prevent this is to highlight the word(s) you want to change or edit. Very annoying. The other big issue I am having is with line spaces or line returns in the Accordion, Tab and Process blocks. Not matter how many times I add a new return between paragraphs, it looks ok when you are in edit it mode however once you preview and look at it the line returns are stripped out.  As I mentioned previously, the only way I have been able to make it work is to add three returns, using the up arrow key and then use the backspace button to delete the extra returns. Hopefully this will also be resolved soon!