Embedded video file in Rise course doesn't work when exported to LMS

Mar 03, 2023

Hi 

I recently created a Rise course with an embedded video file. My colleagues could view the video in Review 360, but not after I published to the LMS. My publish settings were SCORM 2004 version 4. 

I've attached the video file here. It could be the video format "webm," but attempts to embed the video in different formats and republish to LMS were unsuccessful.

Can someone please assist? I'm keen to troubleshoot for this course, but learn for future course development.

7 Replies
Hazel Bartolome

Hi Joel! So sorry to hear that you could not view the video in your Rise course after publishing to your LMS. Thanks for sharing your video file with us.

The video shows up when I test in SCORM Cloud. SCORM Cloud is an industry-standard testing engine that's free and supports AICC, SCORM, Tin Can API (xAPI), and cmi5 content. Since the video is showing up after I tested it in SCORM Cloud, this may be an issue with your LMS.

Here's the link to my SCORM Cloud test.

Here's a screenshot of how the video looks in SCORM Cloud.

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Joel! 

Another thing to try is to convert the video to a different format, using Handbrake. You can use the steps found here. Some LMSs might have trouble with specific video codecs, so it is also worth trying.

I converted your file to .mp4 using Handbrake and attached it here. Maybe you can try using this and see if it will load using your LMS. Let me know how it goes!

joel colley

Hi Hazel

Thanks for this and your assistance. We've previously exported to mp4 and a couple of other formats and tried uploading in but it also failed to work in the LMS. I feel it's an issue on the LMS side, so what we've done for this project is removed the video from the course and added the video to the course page in the LMS and that's been working fine. But the next time round I'll experiment with different formats and remove any special characters from the vid name too.

Thanks

Joel Colley
Learning & Development Consultant
Department of Communities
P 08 6414 1510
W communities.wa.gov.au

Please note, I work part-time on Monday, Friday and alternating Thursday's.

Steven Benassi

Hi Samantha!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble after publishing a Microlearning course to your LMS!

Have you had a chance to test your lesson with SCORM Cloud? It's a virtual LMS environment we use to determine if an issue lies with a Rise course, or the LMS itself. If you test your course on SCORM Cloud and it functions as intended, then your issue is likely LMS-based.