Free form question with no correct answer

Jul 22, 2019

Hi

I want to put free form quiz questions into a RISE e-learning. However, I want any answer to be correct ie no specified correct answer.

Anyone know how to do this?

Cheers

Kathy

18 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Lywanda! 

Yes, you can absolutely create an unscored question in Storyline 360. If a form-based question is what you're looking for, choose one of the Survey Question options. 

If it's a freeform question, you can set the Score setting to None within Form View

Let me know if that's what you had in mind!

Wade Murphy

I have this same need in Rise. 

In one section of a course, we want learners to reflect on a video they just watched in a Leadership Development course. The video talks about how to define your role.

I'd like to add in a question prompting learners to write a sentence defining their role. This isn't to check for whether their question is correct or incorrect - it's instead meant to give learners a pause to reflect and to practice applying what they've learned in practical terms. There's no right or wrong answer, it's just an exercise.

I could make a survey question in Storyline, but this is a very lightweight course, and it seems like far too much development impact to create one survey question in Storyline just to embed in Rise. 

Alternatively, I could just put a direction - ask learners to think about it and write it down somewhere. But that feels lacking, takes learners out of the interaction, and it just feels a little silly. 

Also, it would be great to get their answers in SCORM, so we'd have the data to sort through for analysis - e.g., to see what kinds of leaders are engaging in the course, how they see themselves, etc. Not for grading, but just data and insights that could be useful.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Wade,

Right now, the best way to add open-ended, survey questions to a Rise 360 course is to embed a survey from a third-party tool (like Google Forms or Survey Monkey) using a Multimedia Embed block. 

Use this iFrame code format for easy embedding!
<iframe src="URL HERE"></iframe>

If you design a survey and need help embedding it, please let us know! 

Alan Dickson

I've got a solution in Storyline 360, for what I think was the original problem.

I created a Freeform Question - "Pick Many".
Deleted the "Wrong" and "Try again" layers.
In the form view, I made none of the answer correct.

For the 'Trigger' of the 'Submit Button' I told it to "Show layer Correct, when the user clicked submit".

Now, no matter what the user picks on the screen, it will always show the "Correct" layer when they submit, and they can progress.

I am using this feature as a checklist for users to tick / toggle what they have learnt about in that section.

I hope this helps some of you.

Carol Yenger

I have a similar need in Rise. During this module, it is writing concise message. As part of the steps, I give them a message and have them rewrite it to be clear and concise. After submitting it, I'd like their rewrite to appear on the left the ideal rewritten message next to it -all of this under the original message. That way they can see all three pieces and compare their message to the ideal. I'd also like to capture their response for analysis and trends.  They may come up with a better answer!

Carol Yenger

Is there a way to have all three pieces of information shown on the same screen? My question below is: 

I have a similar need in Rise. During this module, it is writing concise message. As part of the steps, I give them a message and have them rewrite it to be clear and concise. After submitting it, I'd like their rewrite to appear on the left the ideal rewritten message next to it -all of this under the original message. That way they can see all three pieces and compare their message to the ideal. I'd also like to capture their response for analysis and trends.  They may come up with a better answer!

Valerie Zaryczny

Just adding a comment to vote for a feature in Rise to allow a "correct" response for any answer to a Knowledge Check Multiple Choice interaction.  I want to use it to have participants choose the strategy from the microlearning that they are most excited to try, and I want a correct result no matter what is chosen.  Yes, I know I can make something similar with Flip Cards, but it' would be nice to have this as an option so we are not always using the same interaction every time we want some type of reflection like this.  Creating something in Storyline is often too time-consuming for a short microlearning.

Angelo Cruz

Thanks for sharing your voice towards this feature.

I understand you wanted to be able to add a Knowledge Check Multiple Choice interaction that allows a correct response regardless of what the learner chooses.

I'll take note of this and add it to the feature request so that our developers would be informed. We'll post updates on this thread should we receive any new information regarding this feature.

Steven Benassi

Hi Min!

Thanks for reaching out!

We're still tracking interest in the feature request for Free Response Quiz Questions in Rise 360. I've included you in the feature report and will provide updates if it makes it onto our Feature Roadmap.

To your second question, can you share a few more details on the 3rd party tool and how it'll be used alongside your lesson? Also, which type of platform would be used to distribute the lesson to your learners?

Looking forward to hearing from you!